Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lena Dunham accused of being a child molestor (tw)

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lena Dunham accused of being a child molestor (tw)

Advertisements
    Has anyone else read this story? They talked about it on the news today and said she'd canceled a book signing because people were interpreting a passage of what she wrote she did to her sister as predatory and as child molestation.

Lena Dunham Responds to Accusations That She Molested Her Younger Sister Grace Dunham | E! Online Canada

Kevin D. Williamson, a columnist for the conservative news magazine National Review, and Bradford Thomas, who writes for the politically conservative website Truth Revolt, have both accused Lena Dunham of admitting to sexually abusing her sister, Grace Dunham. The allegations stem from several passages in actress' recently published memoir, Not That Kind of Girl. In one excerpt, she wrote, "'Do we all have uteruses?' I asked my mother when I was seven. 'Yes,' she told me. 'We're born with them, and with all our eggs, but they start out very small. And they aren't ready to make babies until we're older.'"

"I look at my sister, now a slim, tough one-year-old, and at her tiny belly. I imagined her eggs inside her, like the sack of spider eggs in Charlotte's Webb, and her uterus, the size of a thimble. 'Does her vagina look like mine?' 'I guess so,' my mother said. 'Just smaller.' One day, as I sat in our driveway in Long Island playing with blocks and buckets, my curiosity got the best of me," Lena wrote. "Grace was sitting up, babbling and smiling, and I leaned down between her legs and carefully spread open her vagina. She didn't resist and when I saw what was inside I shrieked."

"My mother came running. 'Mama, Mama! Grace has something in there!'"

"My mother didn't bother asking why I had opened Grace's vagina," the 28-year-old creator, producer and star of HBO's Girls continued. "This was within the spectrum of things I did. She just on her knees and looked for herself. It quickly became apparent that Grace had stuffed six or seven pebbles in there. My mother removed them patiently while Grace cackled, thrilled that her prank had been a success."

In another passage, the actress recalled, "As [Grace] grew, I took to bribing her for her time and affection: one dollar in quarters if I could do her makeup like a 'motorcycle chick.' Three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds. Whatever she wanted to watch on TV if she would just 'relax on me.' Basically, anything a sexual predator might to do woo a small suburban girl I was trying. Maybe, I thought, she would be more willing to accept kisses if I wore the face mask my grandmother had for when she did her dialysis. (The answer was no.) What I really wanted, beyond affection, was to feel that she needed me, that she was helpless without her big sister leading her through the world."

"I took perverse pleasure in delivering bad news to her—the death of our grandfather, a fire across the street—hoping that her fear would drive her into my arms, would make her trust me," Lena confessed.

After the abuse allegations were made, Dunham took to Twitter to defend herself.

"The right wing news story that I molested my little sister isn't just LOL—it's really f--king upsetting and disgusting," the Golden Globe winner told her 1.84 million followers Saturday. "And by the way, if you were a little kid and never looked at another little kid's vagina, well, congrats to you. Usually this is stuff I can ignore but don't demean sufferers, don't twist my words, back the f--k up bros. I told a story about being a weird 7 year old. I bet you have some too, old men, that I'd rather not hear. And yes, this is a rage spiral. Sometimes I get so mad I burn right up. Also I wish my sister wasn't laughing so hard."

However, Dunham's defense only furthered the debate about whether she described molestation:
    So basically I guess there were two incidents that the bloggers wrote about, the first one where she's 7 and her sister's 1 and she looks inside her sister's vagina because she wondered if it was like hers. That one ... I dunno, it kinda sounds like kids playing doctor to me, kids explore each other's bodies. But usually that's kids closer in age I thought? But I don't think I'd really call it molestation.

The second bit though about using candy and bad news to try to manipulate her sister into giving her physical affection is kind of creepy though.

But do ya'll think it's overboard to say she molested her sister?
    Last edited by Tojai; 11-03-2014 at 09:30 AM.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I agree with the author. It is molestation.

For the first passage, if they were closer in age, then I could chalk it up to curiosity.. but at 7.. she knew better. At 7 it may still be curiosity but a 7 year old knows better than to spread open legs to see a vagina.

For the other.. where she was using bribery and such to get attention, for her sister to lay on her, kiss her, etc. That is molestation. I wouldn't be surprised if the sister has a life of trauma because of it.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Moderator

Prior to this news, I just really liked Lena Dunham. She's an out of the box actress, who does her own thing and I love the show Girls.

When I heard bits and pieces of the news, I thought that stuff must have been exaggerated. However, I read this stuff this morning on another site and my stomach just dropped, especially the bribery for affection and attention. I find that really creepy and traumatic. I have a six and a half year old and could not imagine her doing this, nor could I imagine her older siblings do that to her.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Prior to this news, I just really liked Lena Dunham. She's an out of the box actress, who does her own thing and I love the show Girls.

When I heard bits and pieces of the news, I thought that stuff must have been exaggerated. However, I read this stuff this morning on another site and my stomach just dropped, especially the bribery for affection and attention. I find that really creepy and traumatic. I have a six and a half year old and could not imagine her doing this, nor could I imagine her older siblings do that to her.
    That part stood out the most to me too. And it happened "as Grace grew up" so it gets harder to chalk it up innocent childhood weirdness or whatever. There were people in the comments talking about having read the book and saying that the kissing/lying in bed thing happened when Lena was 13 and Grace was 7.

I wonder if she told Grace that she was going to write about this in her book ...
  5. Senior Member
    I mean... She compared HERSELF to a sexual predator and then gets mad when other people pick up on that. Idk. I would be interested in what her sister has to say about it.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I mean... She compared HERSELF to a sexual predator and then gets mad when other people pick up on that. Idk. I would be interested in what her sister has to say about it.
    I was texting my best friend about this and that is exactly what she said. Lena Dunham made the comparison herself and is now upset that people are saying it too.
  7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I don't think a second grader is capable of molestation. At that age, I didn't even know sex existed. But the other stuff concerns me.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    I don't think a second grader is capable of molestation. I didn't even know sex existed at that age. But the other stuff concerns me.
    You'll be surprised how much a second grader knows. They start teaching anatomy and stuff in 2nd and 3rd grade now. They may not know what 'sex' is per se, but they know body parts and they know (or should know) that its wrong to look at or touch other people's body parts. At least in the way she described in the book.

I mean if they were in a bath together and she asked questions that's one thing. But to blatantly squat down spread her sisters legs to investigate.. that's not right and a 7 year old would (or should) know that.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    I think it's weird that she decided to write about this.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think it's weird that she decided to write about this.
    I agree. But, I think she thought "Oh everyone does this. It's totally normal!"

I've never been close to my siblings (we have significant age gaps), so IDK what a normal sibling relationship looks like. But, based on what Lena wrote, her relationship with her sister seems quite a bit "off"... like something's not right.

She mentioned her sister would laugh at the molestation comments. So I'm also curious to hear what Grace thinks about all of this.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast