Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Quarantine

1. Moderator

Mandatory Quarantine

Advertisements
    Lawyer: Nurse Kaci Hickox won't obey Ebola quarantine - CNN.com

TL/DR on the article: Nurse who returned from working on ebola patients with Doctors Without Borders in West Africa presented a mild fever (external scan) at the airport and was detained and involuntarily quarantined in New Jersey. Shortly afterwards, an oral thermometer read normal temp. After a few days, she hired a lawyer and threatened legal action if her restriction continued. They let her go, she returned to her home-state of Maine, and was advised to voluntarily quarantine. She says she won't do it, the state says they may force her, she says she'll pursue legal action if they try. She is currently without symptoms and following CDC guidelines for daily self-monitoring.

Thoughts on involuntary quarantine? Is it a human rights violation? Should it be legally allowed? If not, does she have a moral obligation to voluntarily quarantine? If she DOES present symptoms and somehow has infected others, should she be liable? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

(I'm firmly in the human-rights-violation camp, just to throw my own personal thoughts on it out there up front. I am not cool with mandatory quarantine, but I do feel people who have been/may have been exposed to communicable diseases have a moral obligation to disclose that possibility to those with whom they come in close enough contact to pass it on.)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am all in favor of it. She chose to go over there and the virus has a 21 day potential incubation. I do think that employers need to accommodate the quarantines, but I'm absolutely in favor of them being mandatory. You'd think as a health care professional that she would care more about public health, but apparently not. I think she comes across as a selfish brat, honestly.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I think she needs to use common sense and quarantine herself. Not sure how I feel about mandatory, but I think it should be protocol after people are around a communicable disease like that.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I think the second the government doesnt require mandatory quarantine is the second things will get out of hand.

There are a lot of opinions to be said here! I am excited to read them!
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I am all in favor of it. She chose to go over there and the virus has a 21 day potential incubation. I do think that employers need to accommodate the quarantines, but I'm absolutely in favor of them being mandatory. You'd think as a health care professional that she would care more about public health, but apparently not. I think she comes across as a selfish brat, honestly.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

Give her a chance to voluntarily quarantine, if she doesn't then force her. Its not like its some random person from some random country. She is a healthcare professional that came directly from an Ebola infected country.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I can't decide if I think this, or if I think she's possibly just annoyed by the hysteria and refuses to buy into it. I can see it either way, or possibly some of both.

I also feel like she should be held liable for the results of her actions, if any, since she's so adamantly choosing not to isolate. More rights = more responsibility.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    yeah to be totally honest my opinion is that she's a complete bitch.
    what in the WORLD could possibly be so horrible about being quarantined that she can't suck it up and do it for a few weeks when there's a chance that she could literally be the reason for hundreds or THOUSANDS of deaths if she was indeed sick?
    SO grossly selfish. it appears to me that she's just trying to get 15 minutes of fame out of something that is an issue for the world, not just her little existence. kind of pathetic. no wait. paaaathetic.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    yeah to be totally honest my opinion is that she's a complete bitch.
    what in the WORLD could possibly be so horrible about being quarantined that she can't suck it up and do it for a few weeks when there's a chance that she could literally be the reason for hundreds or THOUSANDS of deaths if she was indeed sick?
    SO grossly selfish. it appears to me that she's just trying to get 15 minutes of fame out of something that is an issue for the world, not just her little existence. kind of pathetic. no wait. paaaathetic.
    Definitely agree with that! They're asking her to self-quarantine IN HER HOUSE. I do that all the time... sometimes I wish I had a better excuse to stay home! Guess she's not an introvert.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I don't think it's necessary for healthcare professionals who know how to self moniter. I read an interesting article about it, brb, off to try to find it!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    As a healthcare professional, she should fully understand this. Yes, ebola isnt spread until we are symptomatic- so far as we know. But frankly, this disease is so new and unknown to a point that she could easily shed for like 4 hours before becoming symptomatic, and if she is in a NY subway, in a store downtown, with a boyfriend- then she could spread it. The fact is, we are trying to prevent an outbreak, and she is being a fucking brat about not even doing a voluntary one. I wish I could trust people to do a voluntary one, because I do somewhat think mandatory is almost a violation, but people cant be trusted to do the right thing (look at the NBC woman who broke her quarentine, look at this woman), so make it mandatory. Because some people are assholes.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast