Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do ya'll think of this?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What do ya'll think of this?

Advertisements
    We had some drama today and I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other but I wanted to see what everyone's take on this was ...

We had a potluck at work today, but nobody told me about it so I didn't bring anything. One girl made chili and brought it in and a few people had tried it. Then someone said it tasted kind of funny, so someone else asked her how she made it and she said she made it with venison instead of ground beef. Well after that nobody wanted to eat it anymore, and one person was really upset because she said she didn't eat deer and she actually ended up getting sick later.

So a lot of people were kind of upset with the girl who made the chili and said she should have told everyone beforehand what it was, or put a label on it saying it was made with deer. Their feelings were that if you make a dish with unusual/exotic ingredients, then you should tell people ahead of time so they can decide if they want to eat it or not.

Personally I don't really care, but there were hard feelings at the end of the day. So what do ya'll think, if you cook something with an unusual ingredient do you think you should make that known when you bring it in?

(I don't anticipate it being heated but I put it in debates just in case )
  2. Senior Member
    That's not something that would bother me at all. It's not like she hid it, she told people when they asked.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think if you have food allergies/preferences, then it is YOUR job to make that known and ask questions, not the people who cook, especially when it is for a large group. For me, my only possible thoughts would be nuts and seafood since people tend to have anaphylactic reactions to them, but even then, those people tend to be proactive about asking vs being lazy and assuming food is ok for them to eat.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I think if you have food allergies/preferences, then it is YOUR job to make that known and ask questions, not the people who cook, especially when it is for a large group. For me, my only possible thoughts would be nuts and seafood since people tend to have anaphylactic reactions to them, but even then, those people tend to be proactive about asking vs being lazy and assuming food is ok for them to eat.
    -- don't assume what the ingredients in a dish are and it isn't the maker's fault if you do. They can all STFU and more chilli and yummy venison for her.
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    We had a potluck at work today, but nobody told me about it so I didn't bring anything. One girl made chili and brought it in and a few people had tried it. Then someone said it tasted kind of funny, so someone else asked her how she made it and she said she made it with venison instead of ground beef. Well after that nobody wanted to eat it anymore, and one person was really upset because she said she didn't eat deer and she actually ended up getting sick later.

So a lot of people were kind of upset with the girl who made the chili and said she should have told everyone beforehand what it was, or put a label on it saying it was made with deer. Their feelings were that if you make a dish with unusual/exotic ingredients, then you should tell people ahead of time so they can decide if they want to eat it or not.
    Poop on any group stupid enough not to invite you. LOL. That was my first thought.

I have a hard time with the woman who got sick - that sounds psychological to me, and like maybe she needs a little reality check. (Unless there's some biological factor I'm not aware of . . . I don't think venison allergies are very common - and those who have them, would also be cautious about domestic beef.) What is the reason for not eating venison? (Have you seen the way cattle can be raised sometimes?)

Around here, "made with venison" would increase the dish's attractiveness, not diminish it. (I would say . . . we've had potlucks at work and the participants I can think of would appreciate that as either 1) a family's choice for meat or 2) a higher quality meat, generally.)

I am somewhat squeamish about game, and sometimes really notice gamey taste (even with some of our beef.) But, to me, that's my problem, and I shouldn't impose my expectations on others.

So, that gets me to my bottom line. A potluck is like a gift - you should honor the preparation and the background/choices of the cook, and not be critical. Just because it's not "my mama's chili," I would still try it and if I disliked it, I would NEVER say anything.
  6. Regular Member

Exotic food? Haha! Since when are deer exotic? Makes me feel like their feelings would be hurt if the chili was made with turkey.
    Is this co-worker not liked by many people? Sounds like one person complained the others all jumped on the bandwagon to bash her chili, sounds pretty... childish. I don't know the entire situation at work though.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to deer meat though? I've heard of people being allergic to their skin, hair, etc... but not the actual cooked meat. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but i've never heard of it. With that, I agree with Dr.VinoVet. If you're allergic to something you should make it a point to ask and not assume everyone is going to cater to your specific needs whether it being cooking in favor of your allergies or putting a sticky note with whats in it.
  7. Regular Member

Was it good Chili? I would've reaped the benefits and said "More for me!" Maybe even have taken some home with me! I love leftovers
  8. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    She probably should have said something. I can't imagine NOT saying something. It's just proper.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruggs View Post
    Exotic food? Haha! Since when are deer exotic? Makes me feel like their feelings would be hurt if the chili was made with turkey.
    Is this co-worker not liked by many people? Sounds like one person complained the others all jumped on the bandwagon to bash her chili, sounds pretty... childish. I don't know the entire situation at work though.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to deer meat though? I've heard of people being allergic to their skin, hair, etc... but not the actual cooked meat. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but i've never heard of it. With that, I agree with Dr.VinoVet. If you're allergic to something you should make it a point to ask and not assume everyone is going to cater to your specific needs whether it being cooking in favor of your allergies or putting a sticky note with whats in it.
    I think for people who live in non-hunting parts of the country, deer is pretty unusual. I mean, I've eaten way more unusual foods (whale, horse, emu...), but in my corner of CA, it would be extremely unusual to see venison.

But I think that is you are a person who is very sensitive (either medically or emotionally) to what is in your food, the onus is on you to ask about ingredients. Whether it's because you have an allergy or you have a moral or emotional aversion to certain foods (like being a vegetarian or being opposed to eating Bambi), if you have foods you don't eat, you are the one who needs to make sure you don't eat those foods.

Do those people think that at the beginning of a potluck, everyone needs to announce their ingredients? What if I'm lactose intolerant and someone melted a bit of cheese into their chili? That's an unexpected ingredient, and I could get sick. What if I just hate onions and am grossed out to bit into a big piece of slimy onion?

All that said, I probably would have said something if I brought it, because it is (in my world) slightly unusual. But I don't think it is reasonable to be mad at someone who didn't announce it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    We have a potluck once a month at work. I don't normally make anything unusual but whenever I bring something, I label it. Dairy, nuts, bananas, gluten, pork, chicken, beef, etc. Just in case.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast