Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: r/t 29 year old choosing to end life

1. Senior Member

r/t 29 year old choosing to end life

Advertisements
    I'm putting this here because I guess it could go in the debate direction, but honestly I just need to vent for a minute.

This has been going around my Facebook:
    Dear Brittany: Why We Don’t Have To Be So Afraid of Dying & Suffering that We Choose Suicide | A Holy Experience

Obviously, considering the source, it's from a very religious viewpoint but it's gaining popularity around social media.

Just...what the fuck. How does this woman think she has any right to publicly confront a woman CHOOSING to end her suffering. A choice that was the most difficult decision of her life, her husband's life, her entire family's life. She is not debating the Death with Dignity Act, she is straight up telling this woman not to take the pill because her physician is breaking his Hippocratic oath and she is choosing suicide over dying with beauty. Like...she says those words.

The Hippocratic Oath says to do no harm. What's harm? Who gets to decide what harm is? IMO it's the patient and if allowing one's life to extend into an intolerable level of suffering is harming the patient, then allowing them to safely end that life would not be 'doing harm'.

Gah. I'm done. I'm un-newsfeeding these people because I literally cannot watch this pop up on my newsfeed again.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    dude i just posted that and FUMED. fuck her. what a cunt.
  3. Senior Member
    I haven't read up much on the law yet. In this case I totally understand why she is choosing this path, and honestly, I don't really blame her. I have heard other stories (mind you they are just hear say stories and could be totally wrong) about the law taken way too far and the pill given in cases that, IMO, should never have even been considered. But that is all about the law, not this case.

In this case, to tell her she is choosing suicide over "beauty" is just insane. I really don't know if I would make the same choice as her. I've never been in her situation and hope that I never have to make the choice she and her family had to make. But it is HER life. And it isn't like she is opting out on all of these possibilities of potentially getting better. There are no treatments. There is nothing but pain and suffering in her future (which has already started). I am sure she wants people to remember her for who she is, not what her condition will make her. She wants to be in control of her life. And who can blame her? It's not about taking her life "just because". She is choosing to not put herself and her family and friends though the torture of what would happen otherwise. She is choosing peace over misery.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Attitudes like that make me think of the religious viewpoint against gay marriage. It's a choice that doesn't affect them at all but they love to flip their shit about it. Who cares if another person's death is not as beautiful as I want mine to be?

Interpreting "do no harm" is interesting. One could argue that more harm is done by watching a person suffer and slowly lose capacity than by honoring a patient's self-determination. We accept that sometimes there is some harm that comes along with medical treatment. We accept that sometimes palliative care is a patient's best option. I don't personally see euthanasia as violating the "do no harm" principle.

I wonder how this lady feels about people with DNR orders? Or people who do just choose to opt out of treatments? There's nothing wrong with either of those but by her logic I guess they're passing up on "beauty" as well.
  5. Senior Member
    I watched Brittany's video last night and balled my eyes out. Her story is so sad. I cannot begin to imagine how hard it was for her to make that decision. And she's such a strong person for spending her last days fighting for this right to be available to everyone. I am happy she gets to end her life the way she wants.

As for the article/blog/letter(?): I'll never understand why people feel the need to get so involved in other people's lives. Like this lady who wrote the article put so much energy into a complete stranger when she is also ill? She's got her own stuff to deal with. All that talk about "it's not God's plan for you Brittany..." made me think how would you know what God's plan for her is?!? Grrrrr that article frustrates me.

I wish all states would legalize the Death with Dignity act. If it's legal for us to euthanize our pets so they don't have to waste away from disease, then why can't we do the same for the terminally ill? A person should have the right to choose if they no longer want to suffer. JMO.

6. Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't think assisted-suicide violates the "do no harm" thing. And while Brittany decided to make her story public and invite criticism and comment I really don't think it's anyone else's place to tell her what to do. Like I can appreciate that Kara has been faced with a similar situation and made a different choice, but both choices are equally valid.

I think the way Kara intertwined beauty and suffering was a bit much but I am guessing it's something she's done to cope with her suffering and inevitable death, so, idk. I can't criticize her too much on that point. Idk.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Yeah, I don't think assisted-suicide violates the "do no harm" thing. And while Brittany decided to make her story public and invite criticism and comment I really don't think it's anyone else's place to tell her what to do. Like I can appreciate that Kara has been faced with a similar situation and made a different choice, but both choices are equally valid.

I think the way Kara intertwined beauty and suffering was a bit much but I am guessing it's something she's done to cope with her suffering and inevitable death, so, idk. I can't criticize her too much on that point. Idk.
    I 100% agree that Kara's choice is just as valid as Brittany's. I think every mentally competent person should have a right to choose how their life ends. My issue is that instead of promoting her choice she chose to write about why Brittany's choice is wrong. To me that's just so wrong.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Regular Member

I just don't see the need for others to dictates others lives. It's their decision and their body, they can do what they please, whether that be right or wrong in your book.

I'm a Christian but I don't push my beliefs down peoples throats to the point where they should feel guilty of their own actions, and I feel like thats what this author is doing... and it's pissing me off. She's doing it very "southern" too, saying it so sweet and gentle but also giving Brittany a big FU to the face by stating she is wrong. Who is in the position to decided what is right and wrong? The person in control of their own decisions, thats who.
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    it could have been a really beautiful letter of support. instead, it's total garbage. also, this woman has a FIGHTING CHANCE. she may die at some point, but she actually has something to fight. im seriously appalled. and I do not think the hippocratic oath goes against letting someone die in peace when you know death will come, and come quickly, and it won't be pretty.

I've watched someone die of cancer. she's fucking shitting herself with the beauty of it. I shouldn't be so hard on a woman dying of cancer but this is just so personal for me I cant even be reasonable.
  10. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    it could have been a really beautiful letter of support. instead, it's total garbage. also, this woman has a FIGHTING CHANCE. she may die at some point, but she actually has something to fight. im seriously appalled. and I do not think the hippocratic oath goes against letting someone die in peace when you know death will come, and come quickly, and it won't be pretty.

I've watched someone die of cancer. she's fucking shitting herself with the beauty of it. I shouldn't be so hard on a woman dying of cancer but this is just so personal for me I cant even be reasonable.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast