Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local family receives Blue Star Banner

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Roll Eyes Local family receives Blue Star Banner

Advertisements
    Local family receives Blue Star Banner Allcorns have three sons-in-law serving in military - Sedalia Democrat - sedaliademocrat.com

Donald K. and Brenda Allcorn were presented a three-star Blue Star Banner from the American Legion Post No. 642 Tuesday, but they don’t have a family history of military service — three of their four daughters married into the military life.

Donald and Brenda were honored in front of Bothwell Regional Health Center for the military service of their three sons-in-law with a presentation by American Legion Commander Paul Bennett.
    Just, why? I think it's weird. I mean YAY they all married into the military, but what do the in-laws have to do with these guys being in? Nada. The fact that they lived so close to base with 4 daughters makes the chances much higher that they would chose military men. LOL.
  2. Senior Member
    Ummm who cares? Even if it is by marriage they still have family serving and they probably love and support their son in laws.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I dunno, I mean when you think about it the service is the member's decision so I wouldn't really say the in-laws have any more or less to do with it in than the parents might. I looked up blue star banners though and it is says it's for people with family members serving, there's no "family history of military service" required. And it sounds like the Legion is just wanting to bring some recognition to military families in the area ... good for them I guess, it's not a big deal to me and I wouldn't want a banner but it sounds like they appreciate it. I'm glad they have it if it makes them happy.
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

It doesn't seem like the family went out of their way to be recognized, the local Legion chapter acknowledged them, they were grateful and kept the focus on their son in laws and then just moved on I don't really see how this is eye roll worthy? They are still supporting their son in laws regardless of them being blood or not, they're an extended part of their family through marriage and I think it's really nice that they're supportive of their children and their spouses. I mean, it could be worse.

My parents have 2 star flags for my husband and sister because they're close to my husband and they supported him when he was enlisted.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Last edited by Volare.; 10-09-2014 at 08:06 AM.
  6. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I mean, it was the father of one of the sons that told the Legion about it. Their service still has an impact of their family, blood or not.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    I mean, it was the father of one of the sons that told the Legion about it. Their service still has an impact of their family, blood or not.
    Well said. The family seems to accepted very humbly. Seems like a little good in the world that being reported on?
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

My parents would proudly display (and have displayed) a blue star banner with two stars. One for my Dh and one for my BIL. They have been more supportive than their own parents.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. Senior Member
    Ok? My parents were far more supportive of DH's military service than his own family. Why shouldn't that family be proud of their sons by marriage?

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  10. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost&faraway View Post
    Ok? My parents were far more supportive of DH's military service than his own family. Why shouldn't that family be proud of their sons by marriage?
    This. My family is WAY more supportive and proud of DH than his family is. My grandfather had a 2-star flag hanging in his window for years and when DH became part of the family; he took it down and added an extra star for DH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast