Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "spanking decreases cognitive development and increases criminal behavior"

1. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful

"spanking decreases cognitive development and increases criminal behavior"

Advertisements
    yeah, I just went here.

Spanking children slows cognitive development and increases risk of criminal behavior, expert says -- ScienceDaily

I thought it was a really interesting aspect to the debate. I've always side eyed the hell out of spanking, because we teach kids not to solve problems with violence, but then hit them as punishment justified by being an authority figure. I can see that getting twisted around and leading to violence.

Keep in mind, studies like this don't guarantee outcome but instead highlight trends. For example, there are plenty of abused children that don't abuse, but there's a lot of abusers that were abused. If you were spanked as a child, keep in mind studies like this aren't meant to demonize you.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Well, you know I agree with you about spanking. I could never feel good about physically striking my child. I just couldn't. I am not surprised to see a correlation drawn between spanking and either one of those things because logically, in my mind, it makes sense that one *could* lead to issues with the other, even in a small way.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

the way the article is written sounds so biased to me though, not that its not a reputable source but like the researchers went into it to prove a point not really to see whats "true" necessarily.
    Straus has a suggestion for the holidays. "If you are looking for gift that will increase your child's chances for a happy and healthful life, including a good job and a violence-free marriage, the evidence in this book suggests it would be promising yourself to never spank. Better yet, tell your kids about that promise. It is likely to increase their respect and love for you, and they will also help you stick to it."
    this in particular struck as something i wouldn't expect to see in an educational research paper...

as for what spanking does to a child i think there is a fine line...abuse can def lead to criminal behavior imo but basic spanking (hand to butt or diaper) ending at an appropriate young age i don't see having these kinds of repercussions.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    the way the article is written sounds so biased to me though, not that its not a reputable source but like the researchers went into it to prove a point not really to see whats "true" necessarily.

this in particular struck as something i wouldn't expect to see in an educational research paper...

as for what spanking does to a child i think there is a fine line...abuse can def lead to criminal behavior imo but basic spanking (hand to butt or diaper) ending at an appropriate young age i don't see having these kinds of repercussions.
    That wasn't part of the research. That was a comment on the research, for the sake of the article. I think after publishing this lengthy, longitudinal study, he's allowed to have a firm, colloquial opinion that is more likely to resonate with the average Joe than a stuffy research paper.

I've seen spanking be a reasonable parenting tactic before, particularly with extremely willful children. In these cases, multiple warnings were given with a clear understanding of consequences. They were also of an age where they understood cause/effect and were developmentally at a level that they possessed a certain amount of impulse control. However, even in these cases, there were multiple opportunities for the parent to intervene, and ways in which this form of discipline could have been avoided.

The point isn't really the pain. It's the message behind using violence to solve problems or to discipline a person you have power over, and the fear that is experienced both by the threat of it and by the actual act at an age where that is difficult to rationalize or process. Parents also do not usually have a decompression "heart to heart" after spanking, which means the kids are left to handle what happened to them on their own.

Kids aren't grown ups. They see and feel things differently, and don't have the same coping mechanisms.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The problem with "studies" like these are they are never able to actually pinpoint cause.
    I could say, "its not the spankings. Its genetics. Because parents who spank children are more likely to have the genes that cause criminality." etc
    Also, every generation does its best to prove that their parents were completely wrong, and the NEW parenting is the only proper way to parent.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Moderator

I believe it. I am utterly and completely anti-spanking.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I saw an article recently that said that spanking isn't a debate, it's just some parents willfully ignoring the overwhelming evidence. I'll try to find it and post here.

As far as my personal opinion, I think it's the wrong tactic 99% of the time.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Senior Member

I did spank my boys when they were little because that is what I knew and it's not easy to reason with a 2 year old but as they got a little older (4-5 yrs old) I stopped because I never felt it was effective and I just didn't like doing it, I began to feel it was counter productive and cruel. So even though I did do it early on I didn't make it a long term method and I don't agree with spanking anymore. Once the boys were able to be reasoned with taking away privileges, toys, electronics were way more effective than spanking ever was.
  9. Senior Member
    I am very anti spanking. I've never understood how we can tell kids not to hit or resort to violence but then turn around and have it be ok for an adult to punish them with violence.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    yeah, I just went here.

Spanking children slows cognitive development and increases risk of criminal behavior, expert says -- ScienceDaily

I thought it was a really interesting aspect to the debate. I've always side eyed the hell out of spanking, because we teach kids not to solve problems with violence, but then hit them as punishment justified by being an authority figure. I can see that getting twisted around and leading to violence.

Keep in mind, studies like this don't guarantee outcome but instead highlight trends. For example, there are plenty of abused children that don't abuse, but there's a lot of abusers that were abused. If you were spanked as a child, keep in mind studies like this aren't meant to demonize you.
    Don't believe this nonsense at all. And as usual, there is no way to tell if the how the children would have ended up if they were or weren't spanked because the past already happened and they are who they are.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast