Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: The Death penalty

1. Banned
    Banned

The Death penalty

Advertisements
    I was reading CNN and came across an article talking about women on death row. I noticed that some of the women have been on death row for over 20 years. Do you believe in the death penalty as a form of punishment? Do you think people should be on death row for 20 + years? I have mixed feelings about death row. I hear about someone doing something heinous and I feel like they deserve to die. Then I remember that there are wrongful convictions all of the time. I do think 20 years on death row is a long time, but people are exonerate due to advancements in forensic technology.

Photos: Women of death row - CNN.com
  2. Senior Member
    I am against the death penalty. I just generally think it's immoral to kill people so I guess I'd rather someone sit on death row indefinitely than actually be put to death. Frankly, I don't think the criminal justice system should be punishment focused/based. It should be focused on rehabilitation.
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I am against the death penalty. I just generally think it's immoral to kill people so I guess I'd rather someone sit on death row indefinitely than actually be put to death. Frankly, I don't think the criminal justice system should be punishment focused/based. It should be focused on rehabilitation.
    Totally agree.

Also for some in prison and not just on death row evidence has come up that could prove innocence but the system gets in the way by not letting it be admitted in a timely manner, if at all, and in some cases it's fought to not be admitted because of reputations and pride. It's so ridiculous.

Here is a prime example.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/us...s-in.html?_r=0
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Our justice system is flawed enough as it is, but I don't think I could support the death penalty even in an imaginary perfect system. The nature of our system just makes our use of it all the more wrong to me.
  5. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I love it.

6. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    I love it.
    LOL. I have no opinion on it really. Missouri still practices it. I kind of think the punishment should fit the crime. However, sitting around 20 years on tax payers money? I think that's wrong. If that's what the sentence is, then do it.
  7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

They've been sitting on death row for 20 years because they've been appealing and that takes forever. I worked on death row cases in law school. One of the cases I worked on was a triple homicide committed by a 19 year old member of the Crips gang in Fayetteville, NC. She had been on death row for 9 years. We were handling her appeal, and it hadn't yet been touched by the court. We were not pushing her appeal to move faster, because the longer it sat there, the longer she got to live.
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I'm against the death penalty including death row because there has been too many wrongful convictions.
  9. Senior Member
    I am fine with the death penalty. It needs reform but overall as a form of punishment I am ok with it. I believe that it needs to be changed to the only way to go on death row is if there is 100% not even the smallest chance of being wrong proof the person did the crime. Like no if, ands or buts about them being guilty. And than no over and over and over appeals or sitting on death row for years. 2-3 years tops.