Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Seperation of Church and State

1. Banned
    Banned

Seperation of Church and State

Advertisements
    I was wondering if the churches' request is a violation of church and state. I think it is because the churches are directly asking the government to address the issues. Thoughts?

Churches urge high court to act on gay marriage
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't really see how it's a violation. They're requesting SCOTUS to grant cert on one of the same sex marriages cases that are going through the circuit courts so there'll be one overarching ruling instead of the piece by piece stuff that's happening now ... they're not really affecting the judicial process one way or the other. Or to put it another way, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I mean it's not like they have any leverage to pressure SCOTUS, they're the only ones who decide what cases to hear.

I think it's dumb that they're implying that churches are in danger of being forced to perform same sex marriages, but that's an old argument and by now I don't expect any better from the likes of the organizations mentioned in that article.
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I don't understand how asking SCOTUS to hear a case and make a ruling on an issue would ever violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Maybe I'm not understanding the question in the OP?

I'm sure the first amendment will be a part of the opinion and analysis, if the Court grants certiorari. …just like it is in many of it's rulings (think: Hobby Lobby, Roe v. Wade, etc.)
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    They can shut the fuck up. They're worried they'll be "forced" to marry gay couples, and it presents "thorny questions?" How about you crack open your bible and read about adultery. Or divorce. Oh, I'm SURE God sees one sin above the other when they're all wrapped up together in the same passage, totally how it works.

I'm not even sure what they're asking once and for all. Marriage is and has been separated legally from religion for a long time. I think they're just being homophobic assholes.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I don't really see how it's a violation. They're requesting SCOTUS to grant cert on one of the same sex marriages cases that are going through the circuit courts so there'll be one overarching ruling instead of the piece by piece stuff that's happening now ... they're not really affecting the judicial process one way or the other. Or to put it another way, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I mean it's not like they have any leverage to pressure SCOTUS, they're the only ones who decide what cases to hear.

I think it's dumb that they're implying that churches are in danger of being forced to perform same sex marriages, but that's an old argument and by now I don't expect any better from the likes of the organizations mentioned in that article.
    I thinking had to do with the churches asking the courts to rule on an issue. I could be completely off!