Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Naked Celebrity Photo Scandal

1. Banned
    Banned

Naked Celebrity Photo Scandal

Advertisements
    So earlier this week someone hacked into the cloud and released a massive amount of celebrity nude photos. Since then I've read the argument from a lot of people that if the celebs didn't want these pictures out there are they should of never taken them.

I think that's a really messed up thing to say and it reeks of victim blaming in the same way that you'd tell a woman "well don't wear that if you don't want to get raped. But at the same time I think we're living in a vastly different world then even 10 years ago and our expectations of privacy are constantly evolving as technology advances. I do think one should take into consideration that nothing on your computer is ever truly private anymore and be cognizant when doing things they don't want others to see.

I think what was done is wrong and a total violation of these women's privacy but I'm also not surprised it happened I guessed.

What does everyone else think?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think that people should expect privacy, and blaming the celebs for taking nude photos is horrible. Now if they shared the photos with people who then leaked them, I have less sympathy, but to have your own shit and keep it private only to have people steal them and blame the celebs? Messed up. With that, I will say that in this day and age nothing is sacred, so you should- and this goes for celebs and normal people alike- never assume something is truly private.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's definitely victim blaming and there's a lot of that going around. I'm willing to bet a lot of those people didn't even know their photos were on their computers/iCloud, plenty of people set for their phone to automatically sync photos etc. to the Cloud and then just don't think about it any more after that. I remember G+ asking me that on my phone and I was like "heeeellllll no"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it's sick that people feel these images are public domain just because they were put out there. People are completely ignoring the fact that they were stolen, private images and that they were obtained and distributed illegally.

I also hate that it is widely referred to as a leak. It implies that the photos were due to be released at some point and they *oops* came out early or something which is so not what happened to these women
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    IMO if you don't want photos to be leaked, then don't keep them in your iCloud/phone/account because odds are your privacy *will* be hacked at some point. And don't put your face or other features (tattoos, etc.) in a nude photo unless you want to be identified.

ETA Tojai has a great point... if they didn't know these photos were in their iCloud accounts and thought they deleted them, that really sucks.
  6. Senior Member
    It's not a "scandal" it's a crime.

"What occurred yesterday is a theft and a crime, plain and simple. It is a personal violation of a prurient nature, with photos of an explicit nature that were intended for private or personal use now unleashed online for anyone to see, for free no less."

Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Leak Isn't A 'Scandal.' It's A Sex Crime. - Forbes
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    IMO if you don't want photos to be leaked, then don't keep them in your iCloud/phone/account because odds are your privacy *will* be hacked at some point. And don't put your face or other features (tattoos, etc.) in a nude photo unless you want to be identified.

ETA Tojai has a great point... if they didn't know these photos were in their iCloud accounts and thought they deleted them, that really sucks.
    Disagree. She has every right to take nude photos in the privacy of her own home without the threat of theft. This is a crime, not some celebrity stunt.
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I think its shitty that people are saying if they didn't want them seen..blah blah blah. So what, if we want to take private photos that only a certain person is to see we need to crack open the old school Polaroid? Then what happens when the house gets broken into and the photos stolen? It seems to me what they are saying is don't ever take nude photographs unless you want everyone to see them.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    I think its shitty that people are saying if they didn't want them seen..blah blah blah. So what, if we want to take private photos that only a certain person is to see we need to crack open the old school Polaroid? Then what happens when the house gets broken into and the photos stolen? It seems to me what they are saying is don't ever take nude photographs unless you want everyone to see them.
    How about, the scumbag that stole them is wrong? How about, the people who heard about it and googled the images because they wanted to see are wrong? How about, women, celebrities and people in general are allowed to be sexual in private and it's none of our fucking business? That our curiosity and willingness to ignore boundaries of respect and decency are the actual shameful parts of this whole thing.
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Disagree. She has every right to take nude photos in the privacy of her own home without the threat of theft. This is a crime, not some celebrity stunt.
    I didn't say she doesn't have the right to take those photos. That's her choice and it's fine, it just sucks that her stuff was hacked. Vino said what I was trying to say...that nothing is truly private, and that's a shame. Maybe I'm just a paranoid person, but if I was famous I'd do my best to make sure there were never any kind of questionable photos of me on my phone, computer, or anywhere someone else could find them.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast