Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Women and the draft

1. Senior Member

Women and the draft

Advertisements
    Couple articles came out today, one that France denied some ships to Russia because they said Russia's actions in Ukraine are adverse to Europe's security, the other that Russia is amending it's policy to explicitly define NATO as an adversary. I made a comment to DH that World War III is in the making. That got us talking about the draft. Women are being let into the infantry now, on the basis of equality in the Army. Does this mean if the draft is reinstated in the event of a world war, that women should be drafted? What about prior service women? If they're within their 8 years should the military be allowed to call them back up to serve if needed? Is this the price of equality in the military?

I will say, if they draft women, I'll see y'all in Canada

2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I thought that the military could call anyone back if they're within their 8 years, not just men. Is that not the case? I don't have a problem with that at all, it's explicitly part of the contract (or I thought it was, I didn't know that women were exempt from that).

To me that is different from being required to sign up for SS, which isn't a choice you make but something that's imposed upon you. Theoretically I do think a draft should be gender neutral, but I also don't really foresee a draft being necessary in the future ...
  3. Senior Member
    I do think women should have to register for selective service, regardless of a potential WWIII or anything else. But I think that single parents (of either gender) should have to serve, and I don't think that both parents in a family should be able to be called up.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I thought that the military could call anyone back if they're within their 8 years, not just men. Is that not the case? I don't have a problem with that at all, it's explicitly part of the contract (or I thought it was, I didn't know that women were exempt from that).

To me that is different from being required to sign up for SS, which isn't a choice you make but something that's imposed upon you. Theoretically I do think a draft should be gender neutral, but I also don't really foresee a draft being necessary in the future ...

For the sake of argument, lets just say a draft were necessary in the future, why is it okay to impose SS upon men, but not on women when it's been decided they are equally capable of being infantry, armor, field artillery, etc?

5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I see no problem in forcing women to be in the draft.

I also think the whole selective service thing that men have to sign up for at 18 is no longer necessary, or they should make all persons do it at 18.

The only restrictions on drafting I think their should be is if the person is an only child or the sole person remaining to further the family line. Theoretically this is a male, since its mostly males that pass on the name, but as we know, the naming of a child can be done any kind of way.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    I don't see why not? I don't understand why only guys are required to sign up for SS either. Not that I've looked into it ever so if there's a reason I'm not aware of it, but it doesn't make sense to me.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    For the sake of argument, lets just say a draft were necessary in the future, why is it okay to impose SS upon men, but not on women when it's been decided they are equally capable of being infantry, armor, field artillery, etc?
    I said I thought the draft should be gender neutral, meaning I think that it should be imposed on women too.

Or do you mean why does society think it's ok?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I do think women should have to register for selective service, regardless of a potential WWIII or anything else. But I think that single parents (of either gender) should have to serve, and I don't think that both parents in a family should be able to be called up.
    Also, this.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't see why not? I don't understand why only guys are required to sign up for SS either. Not that I've looked into it ever so if there's a reason I'm not aware of it, but it doesn't make sense to me.
    Because when the SS act was passed in 1917 only men served in the armed forces.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    Because when the SS act was passed in 1917 only men served in the armed forces.
    Well yeah but I wasn't sure if there was a reason women still weren't required. Like women have been allowed to serve for quite a while now, it's weird to me that the rules didn't change. But maybe nobody who makes the rules cares.
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast