Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Saint Louis Shooting

  1. Banned
    BostonElle's Avatar
    BostonElle is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    257
    #1

    Saint Louis Shooting

    Advertisements
    So over the weekend an unarmed African American teen was shot and killed by the cop and I'm sure that's it's own debate. So far the police are not releasing the name of the officer citing fear of his personal safety.

    My question is, is right or wrong to withhold the name of the officer?

    Personally I think his name should be released, that the public has a right know. The only thing that would make me rethink my opinion is if withholding names is a normal procedure that can be afforded to any criminal or if he's getting special treatment because he's a police officer.
  2. Eye
    Master Caster
    Eye's Avatar
    Eye is offline
    Master Caster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Smithton, MO
    Posts
    7,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonElle View Post
    So over the weekend an unarmed African American teen was shot and killed by the cop and I'm sure that's it's own debate. So far the police are not releasing the name of the officer citing fear of his personal safety.

    My question is, is right or wrong to withhold the name of the officer?

    Personally I think his name should be released, that the public has a right know. The only thing that would make me rethink my opinion is if withholding names is a normal procedure that can be afforded to any criminal or if he's getting special treatment because he's a police officer.
    So you think it's a good idea that his name is released so the crazy rioters in Furgeson can mob his home and drag him out in the streets for vigilante justice? It would be different if he were booked and "safe" in jail. But not while he is in his own home.

    They should NOT give his name until they know he will be safe until the investigation is finished.
  3. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #3
    No I do not think his name should be released. Police officers make mistakes, I don't think he deserves his life ruined before an investigation has even happened.


  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #4
    Well, he hasn't been charged with a crime at this point. So what is procedure for a "normal criminal" isn't relevant at this point in the investigation.
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    HisJuliet's Avatar
    HisJuliet is offline
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Together Again!
    Posts
    9,081
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    No I do not think his name should be released. Police officers make mistakes, I don't think he deserves his life ruined before an investigation has even happened.
    I agree. There is a huge safety concern for release the name, not only then would the officer need protection from the rioters, but also his family, which would expend police resources were they are presently not needed.
  6. Banned
    BostonElle's Avatar
    BostonElle is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    257
    #6
    Like I said if they regularly hold back the names of suspects then I'm fine with it. And while I understand the safety concerns I have a problem if what he's getting is preferential treatment because he's an officer.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    So you think it's a good idea that his name is released so the crazy rioters in Furgeson can mob his home and drag him out in the streets for vigilante justice? It would be different if he were booked and "safe" in jail. But not while he is in his own home.

    They should NOT give his name until they know he will be safe until the investigation is finished.
    Yeah, this. Those fuckers are crazy. The guy wouldn't even get a fair trial, he'd just be deemed "guilty" and strung up. Hell no, they shouldn't release his name.
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonElle View Post
    Like I said if they regularly hold back the names of suspects then I'm fine with it. And while I understand the safety concerns I have a problem if what he's getting is preferential treatment because he's an officer.
    You can't seriously compare rioting thousands of people burning, looting, and firing weapons to a normal case. Are you kidding or serious?
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  9. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    So you think it's a good idea that his name is released so the crazy rioters in Furgeson can mob his home and drag him out in the streets for vigilante justice? It would be different if he were booked and "safe" in jail. But not while he is in his own home.

    They should NOT give his name until they know he will be safe until the investigation is finished.
    100%
    In the state that the city is in, the moment they release his name he's dead.




  10. Eye
    Master Caster
    Eye's Avatar
    Eye is offline
    Master Caster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Smithton, MO
    Posts
    7,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonElle View Post
    Like I said if they regularly hold back the names of suspects then I'm fine with it. And while I understand the safety concerns I have a problem if what he's getting is preferential treatment because he's an officer.
    I don't see it as preferential treatment because he's an officer, just the PD making sure this doesn't escalate into something more than it is. Like HisJuliet said, the man power needed to protect them all would exceed what they are trying to prevent already. NO brainer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •