Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saint Louis Shooting

1. Banned
    Banned

Saint Louis Shooting

Advertisements
    So over the weekend an unarmed African American teen was shot and killed by the cop and I'm sure that's it's own debate. So far the police are not releasing the name of the officer citing fear of his personal safety.

My question is, is right or wrong to withhold the name of the officer?

Personally I think his name should be released, that the public has a right know. The only thing that would make me rethink my opinion is if withholding names is a normal procedure that can be afforded to any criminal or if he's getting special treatment because he's a police officer.
  2. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonElle View Post
    So over the weekend an unarmed African American teen was shot and killed by the cop and I'm sure that's it's own debate. So far the police are not releasing the name of the officer citing fear of his personal safety.

My question is, is right or wrong to withhold the name of the officer?

Personally I think his name should be released, that the public has a right know. The only thing that would make me rethink my opinion is if withholding names is a normal procedure that can be afforded to any criminal or if he's getting special treatment because he's a police officer.
    So you think it's a good idea that his name is released so the crazy rioters in Furgeson can mob his home and drag him out in the streets for vigilante justice? It would be different if he were booked and "safe" in jail. But not while he is in his own home.

They should NOT give his name until they know he will be safe until the investigation is finished.
  3. Senior Member
    No I do not think his name should be released. Police officers make mistakes, I don't think he deserves his life ruined before an investigation has even happened.

4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Well, he hasn't been charged with a crime at this point. So what is procedure for a "normal criminal" isn't relevant at this point in the investigation.
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    No I do not think his name should be released. Police officers make mistakes, I don't think he deserves his life ruined before an investigation has even happened.
    I agree. There is a huge safety concern for release the name, not only then would the officer need protection from the rioters, but also his family, which would expend police resources were they are presently not needed.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Like I said if they regularly hold back the names of suspects then I'm fine with it. And while I understand the safety concerns I have a problem if what he's getting is preferential treatment because he's an officer.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    So you think it's a good idea that his name is released so the crazy rioters in Furgeson can mob his home and drag him out in the streets for vigilante justice? It would be different if he were booked and "safe" in jail. But not while he is in his own home.

They should NOT give his name until they know he will be safe until the investigation is finished.
    Yeah, this. Those fuckers are crazy. The guy wouldn't even get a fair trial, he'd just be deemed "guilty" and strung up. Hell no, they shouldn't release his name.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Like I said if they regularly hold back the names of suspects then I'm fine with it. And while I understand the safety concerns I have a problem if what he's getting is preferential treatment because he's an officer.
    You can't seriously compare rioting thousands of people burning, looting, and firing weapons to a normal case. Are you kidding or serious?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post

100%
    In the state that the city is in, the moment they release his name he's dead.

10. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    I don't see it as preferential treatment because he's an officer, just the PD making sure this doesn't escalate into something more than it is. Like HisJuliet said, the man power needed to protect them all would exceed what they are trying to prevent already. NO brainer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast