Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are 18 year olds called teens?

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Why are 18 year olds called teens?

Advertisements
    I was reading this article:
    Protesters fill streets after Michael Brown shooting - CNN.com

And it sparked a question for me..

Why is it that when an 18 year old is shot they are called a teen, but if the 18 year was the one doing the shooting they are called an adult?

I used the article for reference because I am not sure if they used 'Teen shot by police' as a trigger for a headline, or if they truly think this man is a teen?

Granted technically he is a teen in the sense his age ends in teen, but at 18, they are considered adults... adults that can join the military, be convicted of crimes, on their own, no longer under the guardian of anyone else.

So, why is it that when they are a victim they are considered a TEEN, yet when they are the criminal they are an ADULT?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have heard the headlines of this case go both ways, there are some that refer to him as a man, and some that refer to him as a teen
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    but is he really a teen?

When I think of teen, I think of a kid that is a minor.. 18 years old is not a minor.

Is they media playing the sympathy card to get more support for the kid?

I mean, he's an adult.. he should be referred to as such.. not a teen simply because his age ends in teen.

And don't mean this specific case. I've heard it before, I just used the article as an example of something I have seen.

In general.. why do they (they being the media or whomever) refer to an 18/19 year old victim as a teen, but refer to an 18/19 year old criminal as an adult (or as man or woman)?

They are all adults.. they are all men or women...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Because it's more sensational to say "teen." News feeds on drama these days.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yes, he is still a teen. I have always called someone whos age ends in "teen" a teen. If the is nineteen, he is still a teen.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    Yes, he is still a teen. I have always called someone whos age ends in "teen" a teen. If the is nineteen, he is still a teen.
    This.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Eight-teen. It's seems pretty black and white to me.

No, they aren't a minor and they are legally considered an adult, but they are still teens.

As far as the victim/being charged as an adult - referred to as an adult? The legal system makes the determination that an 18 and 19 year old would be charged as an adult. The media makes the other calls regarding the reference they choose and they choose them based on what will get them ratings.

I still call my 18 year old and my 20 year old my babies. It doesn't mean that chronologically or legally they are babies, it just means to me, they are my babies.
  8. Senior Member
    Because he is still a teen. Just because you don't think of someone as being a teen anymore, his age still ends in -teen. Still a teenager.

And yeah, media sensationalism for sure. But I mean my brothers are 18 and 19 and I would refer to them as teenagers.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    but is he really a teen?

When I think of teen, I think of a kid that is a minor.. 18 years old is not a minor.

Is they media playing the sympathy card to get more support for the kid?

I mean, he's an adult.. he should be referred to as such.. not a teen simply because his age ends in teen.

And don't mean this specific case. I've heard it before, I just used the article as an example of something I have seen.

In general.. why do they (they being the media or whomever) refer to an 18/19 year old victim as a teen, but refer to an 18/19 year old criminal as an adult (or as man or woman)?

They are all adults.. they are all men or women...
    The cool/crazy thing is you can be a teenager and an adult at the same time! The reason the news choose to focus on the teen aspect when they are victims and the adult aspect when they are criminals is self-evident. It sounds more sensational and they want to sell papers.
  10. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    I don't care if he was an adult or a teen. The riots and looting are totally uncalled for. Why do these people want to destroy their own neighborhood. Makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast