Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier's House Demolished During Deployment

1. Moderator

Soldier's House Demolished During Deployment

Advertisements
    I'm posting this as a debate instead of a news story because I suspect it might go that direction anyway. This story is long. The gist is this dude's house was demolished with everything he owned inside, while he was deployed. However, he'd had four years to repair it or move out after it was condemned and failed to do either. He used the Service Members Civil Relief Act as justification and sued the county, and won. And then he put up a sign on the property that said "Our home was here. This is how the U.S. government thanks the service of an active Army soldier who gives his life for his country. Leaving his family HOMELESS." The county fined him over $10k because the sign was too big. There are some emails between county officials where they express frustration with the situation and joke about bulldozing the place and how satisfying it will be.

There are sooooo many more details if you read the whole story.

Read more here: Miami-Dade demolished active-duty soldier’s home - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

My thoughts are... this guy had plenty of time to shape up or ship out. He wasn't even active duty when his place was condemned. FOUR YEARS between it being condemned and torn down is more than ample time to do something about the problem and he continued to break other property regulations in the meantime. I'm shocked he won the case. I think the county officials' emails were unprofessional and show a lack of compassion, but I think the lesson there is to watch what you put in writing. I don't see it as evidence in the guy's favor. Obviously the judge in the case disagreed. I think it's ridiculous and embarrassing that the Service Members Civil Relief Act can be used to justify deliberate negligence of building code. And his sign was stupid. He didn't give his life for his country. He took a job and got a check, and came home alive. HE made his family homeless by not maintaining their home.

What do you think? Should he have won?
    Last edited by TheSisterWife; 08-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i completely agree with you. if the city had done it all while he was gone and unable to fix the problem i could understand his argument but he wasn't deployed for four years and had ample time to fix the problems or move his family.

It sounds like someone who is pretty immature using the fact that he's in the military to cover the immaturity and inability to take care of his family sufficiently.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    He had 4 years! And multiple notices to empty the residence. They chose not to remove their belongings. That's not the county's fault. I get he made the request while AD and if this had been the first notice or even 2 years in and not 4 I'd say he should be granted the stay. But he's been given plenty of time.

I feel like this an Omg it's a war hero, let's tug on people's heartstrings and demand special treatment.

The army is a job, it's not an excuse to be lazy and not handle your business.
  4. Senior Member
    Oh fuck this guy. I hate it when people brag about their service like it exempts them from basic responsibilities any other person would have. A doctor, a police officer, a cashier, anybody else would have their home demolished for the same reason so why does he think he's special because he wears a military uniform? NOBODY CARES.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Oh fuck this guy. I hate it when people brag about their service like it exempts them from basic responsibilities any other person would have. A doctor, a police officer, a cashier, anybody else would have their home demolished for the same reason so why does he think he's special because he wears a military uniform? NOBODY CARES.
    Agreed.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think this guy completely took advantage of the system. He was not active nor deployed when he was first notified of the structural issues, he waited until called up to AD before he filed under the act.

And then four years? He and his wife made themselves "homeless" (Homeless? They owned other properties.), not the county or city.

I don't have a problem with the things the people said in emails. People say things like that, I see it as a dark humor on the job type of thing.

People are so entitled.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    The dude had 4 years. No. Not what the SCRA was designed for.

Frankly, I'm sick of seeing current service member say LOOK WHAT THE GUBERMENT DID/DIDN'T DO FOR ME!! His sign to me is no different than those people who get huffy when a store won't give them a military discount.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

4 years is plenty of time to turn a situation around. I do think that it should not have been demolished while he was gone, because how can he possibly get his possessions out if he is overseas, butt.... I don't think he should have been able to win a law suit.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    4 years is plenty of time to turn a situation around. I do think that it should not have been demolished while he was gone, because how can he possibly get his possessions out if he is overseas, butt.... I don't think he should have been able to win a law suit.
    his wife, mother in law, brother and daughter were there...and I'm sure he had friends who weren't deployed. I'm sorry but they could've gotten stuff at least out if not to another home imo.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    his wife, mother in law, brother and daughter were there...and I'm sure he had friends who weren't deployed. I'm sorry but they could've gotten stuff at least out if not to another home imo.
    Lol I have to admit, I didnt read the article. Just went off what the OP said. I will go back to read it lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast