Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women in church leadership roles

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Women in church leadership roles

Advertisements
    I'm taking a New Testament class and our discussion this week was if we thought The Bible forbids or allows women to hold leadership roles in the church, such pastor, deacon, etc.

What are your thoughts?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Nope. I have seen plenty of women do great jobs as pastors, deacons, etc. My old church didn't allow it and I still firmly believe they are wrong.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope. Nothing in the bible or the new testament forbids it.
    I believe the justification for that is that Jesus had only male disciples, and if he wanted women involved, he would have involved them. Which is silly. Because the Church does not limit itself to 12 disciples/assistants/students/preachers/prostlitutes, etc
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaClaire View Post
    Nope. I have seen plenty of women do great jobs as pastors, deacons, etc. My old church didn't allow it and I still firmly believe they are wrong.
    But that wasn't the question. It was if you think the Bible forbids it or allows it. The only verses I remember reading that expressly forbade women in church leadership roles were New Testament writings by Paul. But Paul also wrote the famous passage "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" in Galatians.

My personal view is that women are shown as leaders throughout the Old Testament (Ruth, Esther, many more) and New Testament (who was the Resurrection revealed to first? A woman!), so why wouldn't they be leaders in the modern day church? Granted, these Biblical women leaders often play secondary roles (Mary Magdalene might have announced the Resurrection but Jesus didn't make her one of his 12) so that could be significant. However I think that's more a sign of the times than anything.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by emily511 View Post
    But that wasn't the question. It was if you think the Bible forbids it or allows it. The only verses I remember reading that expressly forbade women in church leadership roles were New Testament writings by Paul. But Paul also wrote the famous passage "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" in Galatians.

My personal view is that women are shown as leaders throughout the Old Testament (Ruth, Esther, many more) and New Testament (who was the Resurrection revealed to first? A woman!), so why wouldn't they be leaders in the modern day church? Granted, these Biblical women leaders often play secondary roles (Mary Magdalene might have announced the Resurrection but Jesus didn't make her one of his 12) so that could be significant. However I think that's more a sign of the times than anything.
    Maybe I wasn't clear. My nope was meant as no I don't think the bible forbids it.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. Senior Member
    I haven't read enough of the Bible to say.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'm not sure about specific bible passages but women are crazy and unstable, so I don't think they should have any leadership roles in the church or otherwise.

()
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I feel more and more like a red-letter Christian these days, and never had a special liking for Paul, so I am absolutely fine with women in leadership roles. It's not an issue that I concern myself with a lot, but I can't off the top of my head recall anyone making comments about female leadership except Paul ... maybe someone did in the Old Testament as well?

I think the question of "Does the Bible forbid it?" is hard to answer, because most people have an answer they want to find, and as with most things, if you look hard enough in the Bible you can find justification for it.
  9. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I'm not sure about specific bible passages but women are crazy and unstable, so I don't think they should have any leadership roles in the church or otherwise.

()
    this cracked me up
  10. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by emily511 View Post

Do you happen to know that specific verse in Galations? I haven't read a lot of the Bible, but this class is totally opening my eyes and I seriously want to read it all the way through.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast