Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Glass in public places?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Google Glass in public places?

Advertisements
    I've seen several stories about this lately and was wondering what everyone thought about it! Pretty much the gist of what I'm reading is that a lot of people feel like nobody should be wearing them in public places, mostly out of the worry of being photographed/recorded without their consent. We had a thing about it at work too where they were banned at the office.

So, my personal opinion is that I don't really care if someone has them around me. Yes, it is possible to take my picture or record audio of me. But I also feel like that's possible with a cell phone, or even other devices that might not be as obvious. If they wanted to be sneaky about it, I think wearing Google Glass would be a terrible way to go about that, because they really stand out in general.

I know at work they were banned for potential security reasons, which I don't really care it's not like I have a pair anyway (don't plan on getting them either), but I also think cell phones pose security risks too. And the last bank I worked for actually had a ban on cell phones at the office due to those security concerns.

But anyway what are your thoughts? Would it bother you to be around someone wearing them at like a bar/restaurant/park/other public place?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I honestly don't have an opinion on them but I've also never seen anyone with one on.
  3. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I get the concern and I expect a lot employers like banks, pharmacies, ect pretty anywhere where peoples' info is at risk of being stolen are going to be having discussions about them. I personally wouldn't want to walk into any of those places and see an employee using them while working.
  4. Senior Member
    Ive not heard about these until this. Very interesting technology. I wouldnt be freaked out at all if someone around me were to wear them. They are no more a security risk than a smart phone. In fact, I think it would be more obvious than a phone. I totally understand not wanting it in certain situations (certain jobs, movies, ect). But the same can be said for any camera or cell phone.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It doesn't really affect me, but I find the idea of google glass exasperating. With cell phnes I find some people just use poor judgement and pull it out to fiddle with at inappropriate times. Google glasses just amplifies that anytime, anywhere attitude.
  6. Senior Member
    I really don't care. If I'm doing something that I do not want to be recorded... I shouldn't be doing it in public. Period. I actually met a woman who was on the design team and she let me try hers on. I mean it was kind of cool but it isn't my cup of tea. I agree with PPs that in certain workplaces they should not be allowed but in public on somebody's spare time I really don't care!
  7. Senior Member
    I don't even know if I would know anyone was wearing them around me.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't like the idea of being recorded by strangers in general but with smart phones/camera phones it's a part of life now
  9. Senior Member
    I didn't realize these were even available yet!

I don't think I will really mind. There's not much privacy with cell phones these days.

It will be interesting to see what fun developments these bring though!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Don't care. I wouldn't do it.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast