Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does education = smart?

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Does education = smart?

Advertisements
    Question..
    can someone who only has a high school diploma still have the mental level as someone with a higher level degree?

In other words, does education always equal being smart or mentally more advanced?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member
    'Smart' is objective. You can have multiple degrees and be considered 'smart', you can have a high IQ and be considered 'smart', you can have no degrees or formal training but master a skill and be considered 'smart'. It's relative.

3. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Nope, it does not mean someone is smarter.. For me it means there is more money.. because sadly educations can be expensive, and some just can not afford it. My best friend I love her to death, she has a master and does not know what is going on in the world.. She says she knows how to study and her parents had the money to send her to college but general knowledge is missing. Just because I have a degree does not make me smarter than others.. I think life makes you smart not a college
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Does formal education, as in college, automatically make someone smarter than someone who 'only' has their HS diploma? Uh, NO. I know a lot of people who self-taught themselves the most amazing things and to this day, they have still not graduated high school. I also know a few people that hold bachelors, that shouldn't even have a high school diploma.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DH has a GED and I think intellectually we're pretty on par, even though I have a post-graduate degree.

There are a TON of reasons why someone might not have a higher education, and "they are not smart" is only one of them.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    No. I have met some of the dumbest people in my life in college. I've met some people that are extremely book smart, but are the furthest thing ever from street smart, and vice versa.
  7. Senior Member
    I definitely dont think schooling automatically makes someone smarter. Also, it could depend on what aspect of "smart" you are looking at. Book smarts, its not guaranteed but I think you have a more likely chance to know more facts about different things with higher education. That doesnt mean you always do, but you could. If you look at two people at the age of 22, one went to college and stayed at home/on campus paid for and one didnt, the one who didnt might have a better idea how to budget accordingly at first.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I'm along the same lines.

I'm of the notion life makes you smart, not an education. And education is just a tool, a degree is just a piece of paper. That piece of paper is to get a job, to tell an employer that the person has been taught how to do X. It doesn't mean that someone else who doesn't have a degree can't do the same thing.

I know people from all walks of life (well educational levels), and let me tell ya.. sometimes the ones with the GEDs are smarter than the ones with higher education.

I just don't like the judgement of it all.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think in some ways it does, but there are qualifiers. Great colleges allow people to think in ways that never have before, to think critically about science, history, anthropology etc.., and because of diversity* in these *great, emphasis great* colleges, you are opened to worlds you never could have- different politics, religions, life views, life experiences, and college allows you to think critically about all of it, in a way most high schools cant. Now I think you can absolutely learn to do this without college, but I think most people don't. Look at the idiots all over the internet who think they know better than this scientist/historican/anthropologist/etc... And I think many people overestimate both their intelligence and/or their colleges reputation and ability to foster thinking over memorization for a degree. I think that college absolutely does make you smarter than the average person with a HS degree, if you allow yourself to go to a great college and take advantage of it.
  10. Senior Member
    I kind of think this is where the difference between book smart and street smart comes in. There are plenty of people I would consider very smart who haven't even graduated high school. Likewise, I know people with degrees who I don't think are smart at all.

I think continuing your education makes you a more well rounded person and gives you tools to become more intelligent, but I think it has a lot more to do with the individual than just "going to college."
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast