Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Racist' Dress code at bar

1. Senior Member

'Racist' Dress code at bar

Advertisements
    Bar Louie's dress code policy denounced as 'overtly racist' - KMSP-TV

A bar in Minneapolis is being called racist because of it's new dress code that includes the following:

No:
    - Flat-billed hats
    - Large chains
    - Sleeveless under shirts
    - Long white T-shirts
    - Athletic apparel
    - Sports jerseys without collars
    - Excessively baggy clothing

One woman said they might as well have a sign that says 'no black people'.

What are you thoughts? Do you think it's racist?

2. Senior Member
    Uhm... No. As far as I know black people can wear and have the same access to clothes that aren't listed above. And it's not like any of those are traditional/religious clothing in the black community so... No. Hell no.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    No, its not racist.
    The fact the woman said 'no black people' tells me she is racist.. or ignorant.
    Because whites, hispanics, blacks.. all walks of life wear that type of clothing.

I actually commend this bar for having a dress code. When I go to a bar (provided its not a dive bar) I expect the people patroning there to dress with some sort of class.
    I'm not talking suits and ties.. but at least presentable so they don't look like a hoodlum.

Is hoodlum a racist or deragatory word?? well I don't mean it to be if it is. I just mean you can have the most classy person, nicest, richest person dressing in baggy clothes and they will look like a hoodlum and classless. Doesn't mean they are out to kill somebody or commit a crime.. just that they look classless, tacky and unbecoming. Dressing like that can (and does) drive customers away. And ultimately it can ruin the reputation of any establishment. So, if this Bar Louie wants to keep their customer standards higher, I have no issue with their 'rules'... and it is not racist.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't see it as racist...I think they might lose business because a lot of people dress like that as it's what's "in style" right now in a lot of places and for a lot of people. But if that's not what they want in their bar then so be it, it's their right to choose.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Uhm... No. As far as I know black people can wear and have the same access to clothes that aren't listed above. And it's not like any of those are traditional/religious clothing in the black community so... No. Hell no.
    That's actually what I said! I said I thought it was racist to call the bar racist, because you're assuming the only people who wear those items of clothing are black people.

6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I don't think it's racist The people I personally know that wear stuff like that are all white dudes anyway.

I do think it's kind of dumb that the commenters in the article assume that all black people dress like that, especially since Minneapolis/St. Paul has the nation's largest population of Somalians, who most definitely don't dress like that but are still black people.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Banned
    Banned
    That's not racist at all. If anything the woman saying that is racist / ignorant for assuming only black people dress like that.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    That's actually what I said! I said I thought it was racist to call the bar racist, because you're assuming the only people who wear those items of clothing are black people.
    Yeah, like wtf. Way to sell an entire race short over an invented insult.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Uhm no not racist, I actually dress in athletic apparel 75% of the time . I think whoever said it's racist is kind of ridiculous.
  10. Senior Member
    My DB is black and he doesn't dress like that at all. soooo no...maybe its anti thug, but a thug can be white or asian or indian or mexican or anything...
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast