Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free?

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Suspicious Gluten Free?

Advertisements
    My doctor wants me to try it for 90 days just to see if it helps my digestive tract.

I've never been a fan of "fad" diets. Has anyone else done this? Is calling it a "fad" a falsehood? Bottom line is I just don't wanna!

But, if will help, I am willing to try, I have never been more miserable than in the last year, with heart burn and just plain yuck. I've been reading up on it. Looks like no more bread, pretzels and beer for me.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    IMO.. its a fad.

I've never done it because IMO (based on what i've read) its really for those with disease such as celiac's. I'm not a fan of depriving my body of things just because the world thinks I should. Even if my doctor suggested it, I would ask her other things to try to before going gluten free. Such as more whole foods, making own breads, etc. 20 years ago gluten wasn't a problem, so why is it all of a sudden now?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    IMO.. its a fad.

I've never done it because IMO (based on what i've read) its really for those with disease such as celiac's. I'm not a fan of depriving my body of things just because the world thinks I should. Even if my doctor suggested it, I would ask her other things to try to before going gluten free. Such as more whole foods, making own breads, etc. 20 years ago gluten wasn't a problem, so why is it all of a sudden now?
    This is what I go back and forth with as well. And I'm confused. According to the Mayo clinic, potatoes and oils are ok, but you can't eat french fries? That doesn't make sense. Maybe they're worried the seasoning might have gluten?

Also, I'm thinking too if I only eat things that are non-processed, all fresh foods, that could certainly help. I am willing to try anything though. I am tired of plying more meds on top of meds just to stop symptoms.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Have you had a colonoscopy or allergy testing done? I'd be asking my doc to do those before cutting gluten out of the diet.

My sister, who is vegetarian, went to the doctor for allergy-type issues along with upset tummy. Instead of actually doing allergy testing, they told her to cut things out of her diet. First soy, then gluten, then lactose, then nuts, then corn and eggs. She was nearly starving and finally went to a different doctor and they found out she's allergic to the allergy meds she'd been taking for years to try to stop the allergy symptoms.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I am guessing french fries are bad because to get a french fry (such as fast food, or even ore-ida), they are processed to make them frozen.
    And the oil used in Fast Food/restaurants are not good oils.

If you want to try a more whole foods, less processed foods type diet, then I would go for that before doing gluten free.

Like I said 20 years ago gluten wasn't an issue. So you have to ask yourself (or research) to find out why is now a 'problem'. Is it due to the over-processing of common foods, is it the food the animals eat, etc. Do you need to focus on only getting farm raised (truly organic, not store organic) meats and vegetables. Gluten really mostly affects those with celiac. Those who choose gluten free for digestive problems, is just 'covering' the problem. Because it likely isn't the gluten that's the problem, but rather the processing of the gluten food.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Have you had a colonoscopy or allergy testing done? I'd be asking my doc to do those before cutting gluten out of the diet.

My sister, who is vegetarian, went to the doctor for allergy-type issues along with upset tummy. Instead of actually doing allergy testing, they told her to cut things out of her diet. First soy, then gluten, then lactose, then nuts, then corn and eggs. She was nearly starving and finally went to a different doctor and they found out she's allergic to the allergy meds she'd been taking for years to try to stop the allergy symptoms.
    Yeah.. see..
    even some doctors are playing into the 'fad'.. they aren't diagnosing a problem or thinking of better solutions to what they feel a problem is. They go for the 'easy' answer. (again some doctors, not all).

Perhaps get a second opinion, or do as I suggested ... do a more whole foods diet (less processed foods).

7. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Don't really care if it's a fad or not. I'm not decidedly gluten-free, but my diet is 80% Primal. When I switched to a lipolytic regimen and then Primal, I noticed a huge, huge difference in not only my mood and digestive tract. By eliminating the offending foods it allowed me to see how just how my body was reacting to those very foods, and how much better I felt when they were removed from my diet. And when reintroduced, I paid for it, and felt like shit within a couple hours. So I know what works for me. I started 80/20 Primal three years ago, and it was the best decision I made for my overall health.
    Pax, Aeon
  8. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ćon View Post
    Don't really care if it's a fad or not. I'm not decidedly gluten-free, but my diet is 80% Primal. When I switched to a lipolytic regimen and then Primal, I noticed a huge, huge difference in not only my mood and digestive tract. By eliminating the offending foods it allowed me to see how just how my body was reacting to those very foods, and how much better I felt when they were removed from my diet. And when reintroduced, I paid for it, and felt like shit within a couple hours. So I know what works for me. I started 80/20 Primal three years ago, and it was the best decision I made for my overall health.
    Can you explain this more? I'd do a search, but I'm heading out the door! Thanks
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    Can you explain this more? I'd do a search, but I'm heading out the door! Thanks
    You mean explain primal?

In short (Without looking up all the sites and exact wordings), its eating mostly meats, vegetables, whole grains.. wholesome foods and like no processed foods at all. It is a really good way to eat. I enjoyed it the short time I did it, but it just got too difficult do to having to shop weekly and prep food always, it didn't mesh well with me being gone until 8pm every night.

I recommend trying primal before going gluten free. You aren't giving up any healthy foods, only processed ones really. I did a modified primal as well. I still had my creamer and splenda for coffee and I added a few other things into my diet periodically.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

have they tested you for celiacs disease? if i remember correctly its a simple blood test. that is the only reason i would listen to any doctor telling me to go gluten free.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast