Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: How is this not here? Hobby lobby/supreme court/we hate women

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

How is this not here? Hobby lobby/supreme court/we hate women

Advertisements
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/us...raception.html

Supreme court says we want you barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.
  2. Senior Member
    Yeah, this is frightening.

TBH, I'm surprised there isn't more outrage. This is a first on some many levels.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I just cannot quite wrap my head around the idea that a for-profit corporation is capable of HAVING a religious belief in the first place.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I keep typing and erasing. It's very upsetting, that's all I'm going to say right now.

The companies said they had no objection to some forms of contraception, including condoms, diaphragms, sponges, several kinds of birth control pills and sterilization surgery. Justice Ginsburg wrote that other companies may object to all contraception, and that Monday’s decision would seem to allow them to opt out of any contraception coverage.
    Does anyone have a source that lists the specific methods they objected to, if not these?
  5. Senior Member
    Makes NO sense.

It's also really disturbing. Does that mean a company founded by Jehovah's witnesses can bar their employees from receiving blood transfusions? There are many other examples and I really don't like the precedent this judgement sets.

And also the far-right super judgey Facebook posts I've read today have me in a bad mood.
  6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    It seems their beef is with Plan B, Ella and IUD (ParaGard). Some of these people are simply ignorant. Plan B is not abortifacient, and its mechanism is really not any different than daily birth control pills. It is meant to delay/interrupt ovulation, and does not abort an established pregnancy like RU-486. Some of their sources touch on the fact that one of its mechanisms can prevent a pregnancy by thinning the endometrium, but this is what a lot of hormonal birth control is believed to do. Suppress ovulation, thicken the cervical mucus and thin the endometrium. Plan B is just a higher dosage of birth control, and is really only effective when taken before ovulation, days before.

For women who don't tolerate hormones well ParaGard is their only options. : Damn moralists and their quest to legislate their "convictions."
    Pax, Aeon
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    I keep typing and erasing. It's very upsetting, that's all I'm going to say right now.

Does anyone have a source that lists the specific methods they objected to, if not these?
    Plan B or IUD.

Hobby Lobby case: What birth control is affected?
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Makes NO sense.

It's also really disturbing. Does that mean a company founded by Jehovah's witnesses can bar their employees from receiving blood transfusions? There are many other examples and I really don't like the precedent this judgement sets.

And also the far-right super judgey Facebook posts I've read today have me in a bad mood.
    SCOTUS explicitly said that this decision applies to contraception only. They specifically used the examples of vaccines and blood transfusions as something that employers wouldn't be able to opt out of providing coverage for. So basically they singled out contraception as unworthy of the same protection, for ~reasons~ I guess.

That is really the part that gets me. The HHS will cover the contraceptives for the women, so I'm glad that they're still going to have access to free birth control. And if SCOTUS had actually said "well, closely held corporations get the same religious protections as non-for-profit religious organizations" I would have still been pissed, but at least it would be logically consistent. The fact that this ONLY applies to a woman's issue is ... just really aggravating. It's very blatantly wanting to have their cake and eat it too, imo.
  9. sassypants
    sassypants
    I LOVE living in a world where a corperation has more choice then a woman

rocket_liz is my wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    SCOTUS explicitly said that this decision applies to contraception only. They specifically used the examples of vaccines and blood transfusions as something that employers wouldn't be able to opt out of providing coverage for. So basically they singled out contraception as unworthy of the same protection, for ~reasons~ I guess.

That is really the part that gets me. The HHS will cover the contraceptives for the women, so I'm glad that they're still going to have access to free birth control. And if SCOTUS had actually said "well, closely held corporations get the same religious protections as non-for-profit religious organizations" I would have still been pissed, but at least it would be logically consistent. The fact that this ONLY applies to a woman's issue is ... just really aggravating. It's very blatantly wanting to have their cake and eat it too, imo.
    I guess, but to me that is just them covering their ass. I wouldn't be surprised if later on this judgement is used as justification for making a stand on other heath care issues on the basis of religion.

But no, you're right, the fact that it's just a "woman's issue" at the moment is even more frightening.
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast