Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious bad luck, dumb luck, Sue happy?

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Screwy Serious bad luck, dumb luck, Sue happy?

Advertisements
    So. I'm curious what you all think.

One of my really good friends has the most stupidest luck EVER! She has been in more car accidents than I can even count and always ends up getting settlements for them. And, no joke, these are not caused by her.

She had to have a rod placed in her back a few years back due to severe scoliosis. It's from the base of her neck down to her hips. So anytime she gets hit she suffers severe pain for months and needs therapy. With her surgery she ended up getting a horrible staph infection in her spine that almost killed her. She was misdiagnosed, had to have more surgery, and was out of commission for almost a year. She's had this lawyer for years and she got him involved and got a really big settlement from it. She also ended up getting a settlement from when she worked at Walmart. Discrimination or something. I don't really remember.

So fast forward to this year. 2 months ago her boyfriend was in a car accident that wasn't his fault and ended up totaling his car. Now they are down to one and two weeks after he got hit SHE was in an accident. She was dead stopped on the highway in traffic and the girl in front of her started rolling backwards about 50 yards or so and hit her. Tried to claim it was my friend's fault but the lawyer isn't playing that game.

THEN last month she was in a left turn lane at a red light and a Fire truck came up behind her with sirens blaring, honking it's horn to get her out of the way. WHY they didn't go around her into on coming traffic is a mystery. She freaked out, panicked, and ended up driving forward into the intersection and was t-boned by a kid that wasn't paying attention. Obviously the kid should have paused if a fire truck was there with sirens.

Anyway, she just called me yesterday and her lawyer ensured her that her case in both are in her favor. He thinks he will get her $3,000 from the first one and possibly over $30,000 for the second one because it is with the city. Both will settle out of court.

HOW CRAZY IS ALL THAT?!

I've been in a couple of accidents and never even thought to sue over them, even though one of them was totally justified. I fell on black ice in a parking lot, broke my tailbone and jacked my back up for years. But it's not how I roll.
  2. Senior Member
    Well, it sounds like a ton of bad luck and I think I'd be terrified to keep driving if I was her I just don't see what you're asking? I mean, she was in accidents, has damage and that is what insurance is for, right? I can't imagine having to pay all those car damages out of pocket, especially if they weren't my fault. I'd ask for compensation too.
  3. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

How is the 2nd one with the City? Because she moved into oncoming traffic because she thought the fire truck was not going to go around her? I mean, I'm assuming the truck was not stopped behind her with the sirens...correct?
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Well, it sounds like a ton of bad luck and I think I'd be terrified to keep driving if I was her I just don't see what you're asking? I mean, she was in accidents, has damage and that is what insurance is for, right? I can't imagine having to pay all those car damages out of pocket, especially if they weren't my fault. I'd ask for compensation too.
    Seriously!! Insurance is one thing. She has it and uses it. She is getting a lot more than what the damages are. If that makes sense?
  5. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post

How is the 2nd one with the City? Because she moved into oncoming traffic because she thought the fire truck was not going to go around her? I mean, I'm assuming the truck was not stopped behind her with the sirens...correct?
    The truck came up behind her and stopped, starting honking like crazy and the driver was waving at her. So weird. She said the police report is really vague, she never got a ticket herself, AND the fire truck didn't stop, just kept going. According to records they never even reported it in as they were driving away. They HAD to have seen it happen. Someone had to.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    Seriously!! Insurance is one thing. She has it and uses it. She is getting a lot more than what the damages are. If that makes sense?
    I figured it's the other person's insurance who pays for damages? Since she wasn't at fault. At least that's how it works here. And well, if she gets more than her damages then I guess she's at least a little lucky while being so damn unlucky all the time I'd see it as compensation for the pain in the ass that buying a new car is
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    The truck came up behind her and stopped, starting honking like crazy and the driver was waving at her. So weird. She said the police report is really vague, she never got a ticket herself, AND the fire truck didn't stop, just kept going. According to records they never even reported it in as they were driving away. They HAD to have seen it happen. Someone had to.
    I'm confused, and part of it is my own typing's fault. When I said truck in my post, I meant the fire truck. So you are saying there was ANOTHER truck that came up behind her honking etc, and THEN a fire truck behind that?
  8. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    I'm confused, and part of it is my own typing's fault. When I said truck in my post, I meant the fire truck. So you are saying there was ANOTHER truck that came up behind her honking etc, and THEN a fire truck behind that?
    No sorry! It was the FIRETRUCK that came up behind and started honking and waving!!!! Crazy right?
  9. Senior Member
    I don't see how on earth it is the cities fault that she pulled into an intersection and then was kit by someone else. That seems like it is probably her fault (if the light was red). Even if an emergency vehicle is behind you, you don't get carte blanche to do unsafe things. The driver is still responsible for being safe. She pulled into an active intersection and was hit. That sounds like her fault unless the other driver had a stop sigh or stoplight, and that driver's fault if he did.

Also, there is a difference between being legally at fault, and having made choices that lead to an accident. If someone is getting in that many accidents, my guess would be she might not be a good driver. The accidents may end up being someone else's fault (though in the fire truck case it doesn't sound like it, though the city will probably settle anyway because that's what they tend to do), but that doesn't mean she didn't contribute and couldn't have prevented them or lessened the impact. Perhaps she needs to look at her following distance, how quickly she brakes and accelerates, and other ways she can change her driving to be more defensive.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I wonder how much she has to pay for auto insurance!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast