Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about trigger warnings?

1. Senior Member

How do you feel about trigger warnings?

Advertisements
    Hazards Ahead: The Problem With Trigger Warnings - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

This article made me think. Just curious how you all feel about them?
  2. Senior Member
    Personally I think they are unneeded. I think most people are adult enough to realize there are things out there there that could remind them of an issue/problem they have/had. I put them sometimes because I have seen people get upset here when they aren't posted. But honestly if the title of the article/show whatever is descriptive enough, people should be able to realize that what they are about to see or read could remind them and perhaps maybe they should avoid it.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm sorry, what? having to put trigger warning on syllabus? You are in the wrong class/major if you need a trigger warning for a subject that could be discussed in a class you are taking. That to me is just ridiculous. As a college student, never once have we not gone through the syllabi the first day of class, you should be able to figure out if a topic would cause you distress to talk about and the solution would be to drop the class. If that is a required course for your degree, you need to seriously consider changing your degree to something that wouldn't be a trigger.

As far as on the message board. I honestly have no idea what half of them mean. TBH, I hope I never triggered anyone...I don't even know when to post them or what would be considered a trigger.
    Banned
    I really appreciate them on here because sometimes the thread title isn't clear as to what the thread is about. I also think they vary depending on the audience. Like on this site I'd use a trigger warning if I'm talking about news on someone killed in action or other military related casualties, but I wouldn't put a trigger warning if it was on a different kind of forum.

And while I appreciate them, I go back to what I said in the other thread. My recovery and in this case my specific triggers are mine, and my responsibility to stay away from if it's a problem. So while yes I appreciate them, I don't expect them. I've learned to cope with my triggers so I can function without needing trigger warnings ruling my life.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Personally I think they are unneeded. I think most people are adult enough to realize there are things out there there that could remind them of an issue/problem they have/had. I put them sometimes because I have seen people get upset here when they aren't posted. But honestly if the title of the article/show whatever is descriptive enough, people should be able to realize that what they are about to see or read could remind them and perhaps maybe they should avoid it.
    -- everything is a trigger for someone
  6. Senior Member
    I think most of them are ridiculous. I understand certain ones but have you been on tumblr lately? Fucking everything needs a trigger warning there. Like how do you manage to leave your house?
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    "When everything has a trigger warning, nothing has a trigger warning."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    "When everything has a trigger warning, nothing has a trigger warning."
  9. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    Dumbest thing ever.
  10. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

I appreciate spoiler warnings more than trigger warnings lol. I think they're unnecessary but nothing really bothers me tbh. Obv super nasty shit might, but I don't need a warning.
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast