Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My brain hurts .... "American Civil War of 2014"

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

My brain hurts .... "American Civil War of 2014"

Advertisements
    Mhm you have read that title correctly. Apparently a few people in my family, including my own husband, are debating America is going to hell in a hand basket and we need to prepare for a civil war. Which is why we need to stock pile resources and guns so if it happens we're ready.

I just... Wut? I know some things aren't that great politically at the moment but they haven't been all that wonderful for awhile. And to top off the civil war comments, I hear apparently we're heading towards WWI era esque Germany with gun control laws and Obama taking all our guns and that is the first step that led to the holocaust and it's happening here and OMG guys grab your guns and pitch forks cause that just escalated quickly!

I'm just so confused. Do people seriously think like this? Am I just really naive or something because I like to think I keep up with most current events but this one has apparently alluded me. Please shed some insight for me, why is America supposedly "headed for another civil war" as they say. How would that even be possible? I mean hell, if that's the case, next thing you know we're going to be offering up one boy and one girl from each state to please the Capitol for the hunger games and I do NOT volunteer as tribute y'all

I put this in debates because obviously it's political. I am pretty clueless here though and pretty much have no comments or words really to comprehend or understand this line of thinking, so here I sit. Just in shock and awe that I'm related to this crazy! So halp me? Maybe?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yes people think like this (I know a few). No I don't think will happen.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. sassypants
    sassypants
    nope

not going to happen-civil war that is

people are always complaining about "how it was better back in the day." Truth is, it wasn't. People flipped shit with clintons gun law, regan had Iran, and other major issues. People always thought it was better before, but it wasn't it was the same.
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My FIL is like this.

I remember him fllipping his shit and being a total baby about how mad he was that Obama was re-elected, and now he had to buy even MORE guns, ammo, and food for when They came. Because he got so much use out of the crap he bought the first time around.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Civil war? No.

I think regional pockets of upheaval due to financial instability or disaster, are much more probably. To me a rational guide is to take lessons learned from Katrina and prepare a household accordingly. Is there enough food and water? Can you live without electricity for 2 weeks? Can the family afford inflated food or gas prices for an extended period of time (30-60 days)? Do you have the desire, as well as the financial and physical capability to leave your home and stay somewhere else during a disaster event?

Most people want to return to normalcy as quickly as possible. The US is physically large enough, and has enough resources to support regional areas in need, but it takes time to move pieces into place, and sometimes that isn't done in the most positive way. Imo, the best way to prepare is to keep a level head and be self-sufficient for period of time.
  6. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    I dont think it will happen but my husband thinks exactly the same. I am German so I will not give my 2 cents to political things because I dont know that much, just the things you can actually read ( and we all know most of them are not true ) and the few things I know now since I am living here..
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  7. Senior Member
    My husband thinks there will be large scale civil unrest, maybe not war. He refuses to live in a state with strict gun laws. I can't say I disagree with him.
  8. Senior Member
    Nope, not going to happen. Although people have been saying things like that for years. Actually my MIL said that people were scared of what Obama was doing and were collecting guns and supplies - in the first 15 minutes I met her over 5 years ago.
  9. Senior Member
    We have some family members who believe something like this might happen. One of them has even started to teach himself how to make knifes. Apparently when our economy collapses money won't matter but having certain skills (such as knife making) will be very valuable.

I think it is always important to be prepared for some kind of disaster (large or small scale). DH and I have emergency bags which have a clothes, some MREs, water purification tablets, batteries, chem lights, and some other stuff in them. We also have several days worth of water on hand along with a fully stocked medic bag with suturing materials, IV fluids and tubing, tourniquets, gauze, NPAs, king airway, OPA, cricothyrotomy kit, stuff to do an EJ, needle chest decompression equipment, trauma shears, and a crap ton of other stuff. The thing is huge! The only thing I need to work on is stocking up on antibiotics and pain meds for it. I am pretty sure some of the meds in it have expired.

Like I said, I don't think we are going to break out into civil war. But I do think that natural disasters (tornado, hurricane, fire, etc.) or some kind of small scale problem are always a very real threat and that everyone should be prepared for those kinds of situations. I would rather be over prepared and have our medic and emergency bags just sit in the closet unused than have something happen and not be prepared at all and not have the medical equipment to help other people.
  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    We have some family members who believe something like this might happen. One of them has even started to teach himself how to make knifes. Apparently when our economy collapses money won't matter but having certain skills (such as knife making) will be very valuable.

I think it is always important to be prepared for some kind of disaster (large or small scale). DH and I have emergency bags which have a clothes, some MREs, water purification tablets, batteries, chem lights, and some other stuff in them. We also have several days worth of water on hand along with a fully stocked medic bag with suturing materials, IV fluids and tubing, tourniquets, gauze, NPAs, king airway, OPA, cricothyrotomy kit, stuff to do an EJ, needle chest decompression equipment, trauma shears, and a crap ton of other stuff. The thing is huge! The only thing I need to work on is stocking up on antibiotics and pain meds for it. I am pretty sure some of the meds in it have expired.

Like I said, I don't think we are going to break out into civil war. But I do think that natural disasters (tornado, hurricane, fire, etc.) or some kind of small scale problem are always a very real threat and that everyone should be prepared for those kinds of situations. I would rather be over prepared and have our medic and emergency bags just sit in the closet unused than have something happen and not be prepared at all and not have the medical equipment to help other people.
    If the world ever goes to hell, I'm coming to hang out with you

I totally agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared for some kind of natural disaster or state of emergency, I just didn't think we needed an arsenal of weapons to arm a small militia or something because DH thinks the US is going to go nuts! We are legit worried about my crazy FIL going off to join an actual "militia" called the Oath Keepers or something and those guys are friggin' INSANE. I guess I was just more surprised that I had not one, but like 4 or 5 family members who have this line of thinking, I mean I always knew I was kind of the odd man out being wayyyyy off base with my families conservative values, but I didn't realize how far the rabbit hole went with my family and this whole civil unrest thing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast