Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping - at $15/hour

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Tipping - at $15/hour

Advertisements
    Seattle is about to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr. This will include servers too. In most other parts of the country, tipped employees can be paid between $2 and $3 an hour, so long as their weekly income, including tips meets the states minimum wage.

Should a server who already makes $15 and hour, before tips, also expect tips?

If you lived in Seattle, would you still tip the same as you did before knowing this?

To me, it is a little offensive for servers to expect to get paid $15 and ALSO expect me to tip them 15-20% on top of that, also knowing that in many of the restaurants, the prices will go up a little because of that.

And I spent many years as a tipped employee (server and bartender).
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    I can't imagine that the restaurants will be able to keep their prices the same once the cost of their payroll more than triples. I don't think employees making $15 an hour should also expect tips. That would just be a lot of money.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That minimum wage is so ridiculous, I can't even begin to comment on it. But no, a server making that much will not be getting a 15-20% tip. Absolutely not.

I Eelizah
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I can't imagine that the restaurants will be able to keep their prices the same once the cost of their payroll more than triples. I don't think employees making $15 an hour should also expect tips. That would just be a lot of money.
    Yup I agree. That is a lot of money to get paid for a job as a server. And I'm sure the restaurants will be raising their prices.
    Banned
    I wouldn't just stop tipping, but I also wouldn't do 10-20% tip. I'd probably view it like a bonus for a great server.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If I were eating at a Michelin starred restaurant or something and tipping was expected, I'd figure that waitstaff probably at least that much but I'd tip anyway just because ... well once you get to world class dining I think that's a little beyond "minimum wage" territory.

Eating at an Olive Garden in Seattle or something I would not expect to be asked to tip on top of a $15 minimum wage.
  7. Senior Member

Well, it will actually go up incrementally over 7 years so it won't be $15/hr anytime soon. However, if a server is getting paid the same min wage as a non server then no they should not expect tips on top of that.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Nope.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I wouldn't tip. Maybe a few bucks because I'd feel weird NOT tipping but no way 15 - 20% off the bill.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Well, it will actually go up incrementally over 7 years so it won't be $15/hr anytime soon. However, if a server is getting paid the same min wage as a non server then no they should not expect tips on top of that.
    That's a good way to put it.

I Eelizah
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast