Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Extreme" events while pregnant, would you do it?

1. Senior Member

"Extreme" events while pregnant, would you do it?

Advertisements
    I figured debates would be the best place for this thread. While working the savage race today I saw an obviously (I'd guess 6 months she didn't tell me how far along just that she was cleared by her OB to do it) pregnant woman running the race and doing the obstacles. The savage race is similar to the tough mudder 23 obstacles with mud, ice water, fire, barbed wire, extreme heights ect.

It made me wonder how many other women have or would be willing to run one of these races while pregnant? I mean where you obviously have a bump. I would think I would be too worried about the baby or delivering in a mud pit. Plus all I wanted to do while pregnant was eat, sleep and not pee my pants.
  2. Senior Member
    If she is used to that level of exercise pre pregnancy, there is no reason not to unless she has a high risk pregnancy.

I would imagine someone who is very athletic prior to pregnancy would be able to notice when they were exerting themselves too much and stop
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by oh*shiny View Post
    I figured debates would be the best place for this thread. While working the savage race today I saw an obviously (I'd guess 6 months she didn't tell me how far along just that she was cleared by her OB to do it) pregnant woman running the race and doing the obstacles. The savage race is similar to the tough mudder 23 obstacles with mud, ice water, fire, barbed wire, extreme heights ect.

It made me wonder how many other women have or would be willing to run one of these races while pregnant? I mean where you obviously have a bump. I would think I would be too worried about the baby or delivering in a mud pit. Plus all I wanted to do while pregnant was eat, sleep and not pee my pants.
    It would depend, if I was crazy fit and skipped some of the more dangerous obstacles (you can usually do burpees or something in place of them right?) I would. If the doctor cleared it than why not. Me being me, I am pretty fit but I'm not THAT level of fit, so I probably would not it just because of my abilities.
  4. Senior Member
    I would definitely do those things while pregnant! I plan to continue to do crossfit through out my pregnancy and would love to do some more mud/obstacle runs. More power to that woman for keeping up her activity level!!
  5. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Pregnancy isn't a disease. If my docs/midwife cleared me I would do it.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I would definitely do those things while pregnant! I plan to continue to do crossfit through out my pregnancy and would love to do some more mud/obstacle runs. More power to that woman for keeping up her activity level!!
    I didn't know you did crossfit! I don't go to a box but we have a lot of the equipment and DH started getting me into it before he left, love it!
  7. Banned
    Banned
    If my doctor gave me the ok, I'd do it. I don't see why not? More than likely, she didn't just start getting into it while pregnant and has been used to that level of activity. Also, some women show quicker than others. Could be she was not as far along as it seemed.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It sounds like the lady was smart about it, consulted her doctor and got the go ahead, I don't see a problem.

I think it's getting more common for pregnant people to keep doing athletic activities later into their pregnancies, or maybe I'm just noticing it more, no idea. There was a lady doing ballet with a big bump and I thought her pictures were beautiful.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

10. Senior Member
    No, I wouldn't do that while pregnant. If she wants to more power to her, but I wouldn't risk hurting myself. And I don't just mean pregnancy-related injuries; I've seen tons of people break ankles, wrists, etc at those events and having a broken ankle and a newborn would suck balls.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast