Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judge Grants Mom an Emergency Order to Protect 3-Year-Old's Foreskin

Banned

Judge Grants Mom an Emergency Order to Protect 3-Year-Old's Foreskin

Advertisements
    Heather Hironimus and Dennis Nebus had a son, Chase, in 2010. In 2012, they signed a parenting agreement which said, among other things, that the father would be responsible for scheduling and paying for Chase's circumcision.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday, when a Florida appeals court granted Hironimus, who has changed her mind about circumcision, an emergency order to stop the removal of her son's foreskin. A lower court had ordered the circumcision could go ahead after hearing testimony from a pediatric urologist.

Judge Jeffrey Gillen last week ruled that enforcing the parenting agreement would be in the best interest of Chase, now 3, although the urologist testified he wouldn't recommend it at Chase's age.

However, the doctor also pointed out (according to Judge Gillen) that circumcised men don't get penile cancer and that circumcision lowers the risk of AIDS—both debatable claims, but not entirely inaccurate—which convinced the judge the circumcision was the right choice for the boy.

The case became a rallying point for anti-circumcision activists, who feel boys are being robbed of their foreskins with no say and no medical benefit.

Chase's mom, a self-described "intactivist," appealed the ruling with her attorney, as "neither of us believe it should be a decision left to anyone other than Chase, who is 3 1/2 and fully aware."

She also started an online fundraiser to "help me save my son, his foreskin, his rights and hopefully other children from allowing the 'system' to make these decisions," and a group called Intact Florida was reportedly planning a protest to support her.

Nebus, the father, hasn't publicly commented on either the initial ruling or the appeal.

Judge Grants Mom an Emergency Order to Protect 3-Year-Old's Foreskin
    In debates because it's about circumcision.
  2. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    wut.
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I think circumcision should be the choice an adult man makes about his own body, so I do find it slightly peculiar that the father waited until he was three, that is (to my knowledge) an uncommon age for it to be done.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I mean, I don't think either one is right or wrong. They're both parents trying to do what they feel is best for their kid. I think it would be nice if the parents could figure it out on their own, but if a judge needed to be involved and after hearing the evidence felt it was best to go on with the circumcism so be it. I used to feel more negatively about male circumcism and now am still just neutral at best about it, but it's not something I necessarily feel will harm the kid either way in life.
  5. Senior Member
    This is so strange
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    This is so strange
    Ya this is where I am at too. This is normally a choice made at infancy not at 3 so the fact that it is an issue NOW is bind boggling to me. IMO do it or don't do it it's a choice within a family and sometimes a religion but it is not an issue for a judge or a court. Seriously that is ridiculous. If you can't settle that out of court you shouldn't have procreated in the first place.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Why wait till he is three? This is so strange...

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
    Banned
    If it went in the custody agreement that makes it seem like it was pretty important. So why not have it done at birth, which is the typical scenario.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna♥Matata View Post
    If it went in the custody agreement that makes it seem like it was pretty important. So why not have it done at birth, which is the typical scenario.
    That was what I was thinking... I mean in the beginning they both agreed. So wouldn't it have been the same when he was born?

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  10. Moderator

It's a weird thing to put in a parenting agreement- I wonder if it's a common thing to be determined by a court? What I imagine happened though was dad wanted him circ'd, mom didn't really care either way as long as she didn't have to pay for it, so it was put in the agreement, but then she changed her mind over time and he still hadn't done it. I cannot imagine for the life of me WHY he would decide two years later that now is the time to get it done, unless he knew she was a self-described "intactivist" and wanted to do it to spite her or something. All speculation obviously, but whatever the case, and regardless of my opinion of infant circumcision, at three years old and without a medical indication, it feels like there has to be more to the story with regards to motive.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast