Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire Dad Charged After Protesting Book.....thoughts?

1. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!

New Hampshire Dad Charged After Protesting Book.....thoughts?

Advertisements
    I read this book years ago and honestly I didn't even remember a sex scene in it. The second link I posted has an excerpt of the sex scene and I guess I wouldn't want my hypothetical 9th grader to read this but at the same time look what is all over tv, in the news and in music. I thought the whole theme of a school shooting was more shocking and like I said I didn't even recall there was even a sex scene so I guess that shows how small a part it was. What are your thoughts???

New Hampshire Dad Charged After Protesting Book - ABC News

New Hampshire father opposes required reading of

Watch What Happens When One Parent Speaks Out at a School Board Meeting About a Controversial Book Assigned to His Daughter | Video | TheBlaze.com
  2. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I just pulled the book off my bookshelf and looked and it's literally only 3 small paragraphs.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I really can't make an opinion until I've read the book, or know for sure if that is the only explicit passage in the entire book.

Not gonna lie, its pretty graphic. I would prefer to be told of such a book before they read it, so I at least would be informed.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal520 View Post
    I just pulled the book off my bookshelf and looked and it's literally only 3 small paragraphs.
    But, that could be the only 3 small paragraphs the child remembers...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    I suppose it is explicit, but a 14 year old is likely mature enough to handle it. God knows I was in a heavy trashy romance novel phase at that point and I didn't turn out to be a slut or serial killer. I guess I don't see the big deal.
  6. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    But, that could be the only 3 small paragraphs the child remembers...
    I guess so but hell I didn't even remember it! I would think they would remember the scenes of the actual shooting more than a sex scene.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal520 View Post
    I guess so but hell I didn't even remember it! I would think they would remember the scenes of the actual shooting more than a sex scene.
    Your an adult, not a teenager just into their sexuality... a teen is more often thinking of sex and sexuality and would be 'looking' for those kinds of things, or remembering those more often. An adult most likely wouldn't. An adult would see the moral of the story and everything else.
    But it also depends on the child. Some would look past it, others its the only thing they would remember.
    I can tell you, my 14 year old would remember only those 3 paragraphs in detail. He'd probably get the gist of the story, but he'd remember almost verbatim those 3 paragraphs.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    There is actually a spirited discussion regarding this going on within my family right now.

I'm going to cut and paste my comments so far for simplicity's sake.

Comment 1: I haven't read the book, so I don't know the context of the passage. I am not a fan of Picoult, I find her as an author to be lazy, transparent, and someone who has an agenda regarding mothers in her stories as being to blame for all of the social issues that children and teens encounter. That said, regarding this issue: The school was wrong to not have a reading list that is given with a class syllabus at the beginning of every school year. My kids have attended five high schools over the years and every class that has the kids reading novels has provided a syllabus with reading list during the first week of class that we had to sign and return. The process for objecting to a book and obtaining alternative assignments has been clearly spelled out at every school. My second objection, in one of the articles about this I read last night, they said this was in an Advanced English class. 9th graders in Advanced English are capable of deeper thought than Picoult provides in her books and I think this book would be a waste of time. Picoult's issues are see though and require no intellectual stimulation or exercise on the part of the student to figure out the themes and emotions going on. All of that said, I would not categorically forbid the kids from reading it. I would read it and judge based on the entirety of the book. I know that page 313 is sensationalized and I have seen a few sentences here and there, but I don't know if what the characters experience on page 313 and how it is presented is important to the overall outcome of the story itself. I would have to read it to judge that and then talk with the kids to see if it was appropriate for them. As for Mr. Baer, my question is how far into the book was his daughter when he found out she was reading it? Did he go to her teacher when he found out it was assigned, did he go to the principal? He is a lawyer and has a child in 9th grade - he is not ignorant as to Robert's Rules of Order and basic Parliamentary Procedure. He knew he, as well as others, only had two minutes to speak and he chose to disrupt the proceedings. I feel his input is important, but not more important than any other parent that was on the list to speak that night. If he had been in a court room behaving in this manner, he would have been cited for contempt and the judge would have had him thrown in jail for disrupting the courtroom. I really see this as no different. So, I don't have an issue with him being arrested for his behavior.

Comment 2: As for my husband and his reaction: reading a few of the sentences from Page 313, he wants to know why an author like that is being taught to Advanced English students as well. But he also would have to see it in context. He is more reluctant to find that it could be appropriate for a 14 year old but does agree that it could be ok depending on the child. He also feels that Mr. Baer knew exactly what he was doing at the board meeting and he doesn't have an issue with his arrest.

** Comment 2 was added because in my brother's initial question regarding the topic he curiously only questioned what my husband would do in this situation. I still told him my opinion, as I'm still part of the parenting unit for my children and as such, my opinion is just as important as my husbands.

Comment 3: To add, we both think that every parent has the right to make the decision for their minor child(ren). The school made a mistake in the handling of the assignment of this book.

To add here:

My husband and I both object to the idea of banned books. We do agree that not everything is appropriate at every age, so reading the book would be important to us to make a decision.

We have long lived with the philosophy that it is our responsibility to parent our children in a way that teaches them how to think, not what to think. We find that modern media, to include modern novels and television shows, to have been a starting point for very productive discussions regarding life with both of our kids.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    what Lynn said

10. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    The only part of this story that I absolutely agree with is a notice should have gone out to the parents before the book was handed out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast