Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA pressures store to NOT sell "Safe" gun

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

NRA pressures store to NOT sell "Safe" gun

Advertisements
    Opinions?

Updated: "Smart guns" that can only be fired by an authorized user used to be the exclusive purview of James Bond movies and sci-fi novels.

Smart guns are a real thing now, and German-based Armatix has unveiled the Armatix iP1, a gun that requires users to wear a radio-frequency emitting watch that must be within a certain distance of the gun for it to fire. The challenge for Armatix has been to find a gun dealer in the U.S. that’s willing to sell them. That’s because the smart gun has run into vociferous opposition from National Rifle Association members and other gun rights groups who worry that gun manufacturers will be forced to adopt this technology.

According to the Washington Post, a gun dealer in Rockville, Maryland, had decided to buck the NRA and others and to sell the Armatix iP1. Previously, the Oak Tree Gun Club near Los Angeles was the only place you could buy the smart gun. However, after run-ins with gun rights activists, the club pulled the weapon off its shelves and abandoned plans to sell it.

Andy Raymond, the co-owner of Engage Armament, told the Post that selling the smart gun was a “really tough decision” after what happened to Oak Tree Gun Club. However, Raymond said that Maryland’s gun laws are so strict that he has to offer the Armatix iP1 in order to expand the market. Raymond also has little sympathy for the groups protesting against the smart gun.

“To me that is so fricking hypocritical,” Raymond said to the Post. “That's the antithesis of everything that we pro-gun, pro-Second Amendment people should be. You are not supposed to say a gun should be prohibited. Then you are being no different than the anti-gun people who say an AR-15 should be prohibited.”

But the day after the Post reported that Engage Armament would sell the smart gun, they ran a new article, saying that after a full day of death threats and protest, Raymond announced that he had withdrawn those plans.

In a video posted to the business's Facebook page on Thursday night, Raymond apologized and said he would step down from the business if necessary.

But he decried the hostile responses he'd received since the original Post story ran. "You call me and email me and threaten my life? You come at me, my girlfriend, or my goddamned DOG I will put one in your dome. I promise you," he wrote in the post.

The NRA’s position is that they are not against technological innovation. What the organization is concerned about is that the government will mandate smart gun technology on all guns. “[The] NRA recognizes that the ‘smart guns’ issue clearly has the potential to mesh with the anti-gunner’s agenda, opening the door to a ban on all guns that do not possess the government-required technology,” it said in a November press release.

The Post states that gun-control groups believe smart guns like the Armatix iP1 could curb gun violence, suicides and accidental shootings. However, not all gun control groups are on board. The Violence Policy Center fears that smart guns will lead to an increase in gun ownership because people will think they are more safe than regular guns.

The day before he announced that he would not sell the guns, Raymond had said he hoped that his rollout of the Armatix would go better than Oak Tree Gun Club’s. “If the same reaction happens here, we’ll be out of business,” he said.

Updated on May 2 to say that Engage Armaments changed their decision to sell the Armatix iP1.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    Interesting! In theory I like the idea. I believe they need to have the option to buy available and let the consumers decide if they want it. Just because it's an option on the market doesn't mean the government is going to immediately adopt and regulate the technology. Honestly I think it would be a bit of a dud after being on the market long term but that a lot of people would initially purchase the "safe" gun option. The only thing I could see that may be bad about it would be for home defense if you need the weapon immediately and don't have time to think about a watch.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    Interesting! In theory I like the idea. I believe they need to have the option to buy available and let the consumers decide if they want it. Just because it's an option on the market doesn't mean the government is going to immediately adopt and regulate the technology. Honestly I think it would be a bit of a dud after being on the market long term but that a lot of people would initially purchase the "safe" gun option. The only thing I could see that may be bad about it would be for home defense if you need the weapon immediately and don't have time to think about a watch.
  4. Senior Member
    Isn's the NRA pro-gun? Isn't this guy trying to sell a gun? Color me confused.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Isn's the NRA pro-gun? Isn't this guy trying to sell a gun? Color me confused.
    Yes - but they see this as a step towards/form of gun control, which they are anti-control
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    Yes - but they see this as a step towards/form of gun control, which they are anti-control
    Just seems like a stretch to me... If there is a market for it The only thing that would be concerning is the false sense of safety of potential new owners and the lack of education/training, but I just fail to see it as gun control.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Just seems like a stretch to me... If there is a market for it The only thing that would be concerning is the false sense of safety of potential new owners and the lack of education/training, but I just fail to see it as gun control.
    I don't disagree - but stretch is nothing new in this whole "debate" from either side.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i agree this gun should be available to the people who want it. but personally i feel it defeats the purpose of owning a gun if only one person (the watch wearer) can use it....what happens if I'm home alone and my dad has the watch on and someone breaks in and attacks me??? now i have a useless gun. also i don't know many people who wear a watch 24/7 so it seems highly probable that the watch would not be near enough when the gun was needed.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    i agree this gun should be available to the people who want it. but personally i feel it defeats the purpose of owning a gun if only one person (the watch wearer) can use it....what happens if I'm home alone and my dad has the watch on and someone breaks in and attacks me??? now i have a useless gun. also i don't know many people who wear a watch 24/7 so it seems highly probable that the watch would not be near enough when the gun was needed.
    Because not everyone has guns for protection? Some people own them because they're fun to shoot and it's fun to go out to the range on occasion. Besides it sounds like it's a pistol which is shit for home defense anyways. The best weapon, hands down, for home defense is a shotgun. It has a spray so you are more likely to hit your target and the pellets won't go through the sheetrock into your sleeping kids room and kill them like a pistol round would. Under high stress situations no matter how good a shooter you are, unless you have had EXTENSIVE professional training you are going to miss 99 out of 100 shots. Not kidding.

I am an awesome shot, I shot expert in rifle and pistol and got to go to some awesome security training schools when I was active duty. I got a chance in Norfolk to do a simulated trainer thing that put you under stress. Interactive screen, split second decisions like you would have to make in real life and if there was a "shooter" you had ping pong balls coming at you that could fire at a rate of 160 a minute. After each simulation the controller would come in and discuss it with me and it would pull up where my "shots" registered. Most of the time I didn't hit shit. It was super eye opening. I get so sick of hearing people that pull this shit "Oh I'm more comfortable with a pistol." or "I'm a really good shot." or "I know I could do it/remain calm/insert bragging excuse here." Because no, you are NOT going to hit your target, no you are Not going to remain calm. You don't know that you could really pull that trigger. You may think you could in theory but in the face of "I may have to kill this person" EVERYTHING changes. If you do pull the trigger a shotgun is point and shoot, a pistol takes aiming.

Oh gawd, sorry I really didn't mean to get on this rant.
  10. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

A little off topic, but I would never buy one, because even if I were wearing the watch, I wouldn't trust that it would fire. I know pistols can jam, but I wouldn't add one more thing that could go wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast