Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA Passes "Guns Everywhere" Bill

Banned

GA Passes "Guns Everywhere" Bill

Advertisements
    Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a wide-ranging gun bill into law Wednesday that has critics howling and proponents applauding.

House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports.

GeorgiaCarry, which lobbied for the bill, calls it "meaningful pro-gun legislation," despite it being watered down from the group's perspective. Still, the group has lauded the legislation, which will go into effect July 1. Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the bill, calling it "extremism in action."

Wednesday's signing came at an open-air picnic area along a creek in Ellijay, in northern Georgia. It opened with a prayer, the singing of the national anthem and a recital of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Hundreds of people filled more than 25 picnic tables, while others stood. Many were openly carrying handguns, and some wore National Rifle Association hats and buttons proclaiming, "Stop Gun Control" and "Guns Save Lives."

Calling it "a great day to reaffirm our liberties," Deal said the law allows residents to protect their families and expands the list of places where they can legally carry firearms, while allowing certain property owners, namely churches and bars, to make judgments on whether they want worshippers and patrons carrying guns.

"The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should be at the forefront of our minds," Deal said while touting his NRA endorsement for governor and "A" rating during his 17 years in Congress.

The governor said the law "will protect the constitutional rights of Georgians who have gone through a background check to legally obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License.

"Roughly 500,000 Georgia citizens have a permit of this kind, which is approximately 5 percent of our population. License holders have passed background checks and are in good standing with the law. This law gives added protections to those who have played by the rules -- and who can protect themselves and others from those who don't play by the rules."

Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the original bill that GeorgiaCarry pushed for, and while the group is pleased that the version Deal signed Wednesday doesn't allow guns on college campuses or in churches, except in certain cases, it feels the legislation "takes Georgia out of the mainstream."

"Among its many extreme provisions, it allows guns in TSA lines at the country's busiest airport, forces community school boards into bitter, divisive debates about whether they should allow guns in their children's classrooms, and broadens the conceal carry eligibility to people who have previously committed crimes with guns," said Pia Carusone, the group's senior adviser.

"So it is no surprise that while being trumpeted by the NRA as the 'most comprehensive' gun bill in state history, the legislation ... was opposed by Georgia law enforcement, county commissioners, municipal leaders, and the Transportation Security Administration for its potentially harmful impact on Georgians' safety."

While the bill says no one is allowed to carry a firearm past an airport's security screening checkpoint, it allows guns in other areas, including "an airport drive, general parking area, walkway, or shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoint."

TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein would not say how the law might affect its agents at Georgia airports, particularly Atlanta's, the world's busiest, but he said, "Individuals who bring firearms to security checkpoints are referred to law enforcement and are subject to criminal penalties. However, TSA has the ability to impose a civil penalty."

Another provision of the new law allows firearms into any government building that is open for business and doesn't have security personnel restricting access or screening visitors.

Some critics have said it was hypocritical to allow guns in so many places but not the state Capitol. Deal addressed that perception in a question from reporters, saying the Capitol fell under a wider statewide provision that affects many government buildings, and it's "a uniform carved-out area all across our state."

The law also allows Georgians to carry guns into bars and churches as long as the property owner hasn't banned them.

It also permits the carrying of firearms by any "duly authorized official of a public or private elementary or secondary school or a public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of post-secondary education or a local board of education."

Deal also touted how HB60 would allow soldiers to obtain a carry license at age 18.

"If they're old enough to hold a gun in defense of our liberties, then they're old enough to hold a gun, and they shouldn't have to wait until they're 21."
    Georgia governor signs gun law - CNN.com

I have a lot of issues with this bill, my biggest one being guns allowed in bars. I don't think a crowded bar at 1 am when everyone is wasted and fights can break is a place for guns. I worry someone might lose their temper or whatever and use their gun.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna♥Matata View Post
    Georgia governor signs gun law - CNN.com

I have a lot of issues with this bill, my biggest one being guns allowed in bars. I don't think a crowded bar at 1 am when everyone is wasted and fights can break is a place for guns. I worry someone might lose their temper or whatever and use their gun.
    I may be wrong, but doesn't a concealed carry still allow for guns to be in a bar or wherever they want?

From what I read, its really no different than the already in place conceal carry law, it just protects those legally allowed to carry, to carry them wherever they want.

ETA... it also states that if the establishment still bans them then they cannot be brought into it. So if a bar says NO GUNS then they cannot bring in a gun.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    If they already have a CHL then I don't have a problem with someone carrying their gun into those places.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I may be wrong, but doesn't a concealed carry still allow for guns to be in a bar or wherever they want?

From what I read, its really no different than the already in place conceal carry law, it just protects those legally allowed to carry, to carry them wherever they want.

ETA... it also states that if the establishment still bans them then they cannot be brought into it. So if a bar says NO GUNS then they cannot bring in a gun.
    No, this added many places that guns may now be carried. Previously in GA firearms could not be carried in government buildings, a court house, a jail/prison, in a place of worship, mental health facility, nuclear power plant, bar (unless specifically noted by the owner), polling location, or any school.

Georgia's Legal Code
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    While I, personally, am not a fan of guns being everywhere, I venture to guess that guns were, in fact, carried into most, if not all, of those locations under the previous legal code that made doing so "illegal" - so, no, I don't think legalizing it increases the chances of there being improper use of the weapons in such locations. If anything, those who were carrying into those locations with no regard to the fact that it was illegal would be more likely, imo, to commit an improper use of such weapons.
  6. Senior Member
    I just don't think guns belong everywhere. I don't understand the fascination with them.

Like I don't really have an issue with gun ownership, I just don't get why you need to bring it around with you everywhere. You really need it at church?
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    While I, personally, am not a fan of guns being everywhere, I venture to guess that guns were, in fact, carried into most, if not all, of those locations under the previous legal code that made doing so "illegal" - so, no, I don't think legalizing it increases the chances of there being improper use of the weapons in such locations. If anything, those who were carrying into those locations with no regard to the fact that it was illegal would be more likely, imo, to commit an improper use of such weapons.
    This is what I was getting at.
    Those with a conceal carry permit were likely already taking them into those establishments, now it will just be done legally.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    Is there a provision that prohibits consuming alcohol while concealed carrying?

As long as that remains in effect then I am fine with the law. I don't see a problem with someone CC in a bar or restaurant as long as they are not consuming alcohol.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Is there a provision that prohibits consuming alcohol while concealed carrying?

As long as that remains in effect then I am fine with the law. I don't see a problem with someone CC in a bar or restaurant as long as they are not consuming alcohol.
    Not that I could find in GA law.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    IMO..
    worrying about or thinking that anyone who CC and brings a gun into a bar will automatically shoot someone if drunk is presumptuous.
    I think, a person who would take a gun into a bar, purposely get drunk and then shoot the place up was intending to do that.
    Not that it could randomly happen, but most people I know that CC are respectful of the weapon. Doesn't mean that there aren't idiots out there, but I think its less likely than one would think or imagine. But that's my opinion.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast