Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: "Dear parents, you're being lied to."

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

"Dear parents, you're being lied to."

Advertisements
    This article and video came up on my news feed today. I thought it was really great and provided so much information. I don't care to debate vaccines. I placed it here because of what the topic is and it's just better here I want to share this article with others who might share with an anti-vaxxer. These outbreaks are getting ridiculous, imo. If a debate starts, I'm 100% okay with that, but I most likely won't be involved.

Dear parents, you are being lied to. | I Fucking Love Science
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I love that. And her link to her guide to understanding scientific literature is SUPER helpful.

I'd recommend it to anyone who ever wants to read articles thoroughly. I had to take a semester long class on how to read literature, so it's definitely a learned skill
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I love that. And her link to her guide to understanding scientific literature is SUPER helpful.

I'd recommend it to anyone who ever wants to read articles thoroughly. I had to take a semester long class on how to read literature, so it's definitely a learned skill
    The fact that the article was so broken down and gave resources on how to read medical resources (which completely overwhelm me) was why I liked it so much.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    The fact that the article was so broken down and gave resources on how to read medical resources (which completely overwhelm me) was why I liked it so much.
    The problem is that most people dont know how (and honestly, shouldnt, its irritatingly difficult to learn how to do it properly and they have no use for it in their lives) to properly read scientific literature and studies. Is the sample size adequate? Are there variables? What are they and how may each of these variables impact the results? Is it prospective or retrospective? What mathematical method did they use to analyze data? Does that mean we can trust the data? What is the confidence interval and the P value, and not just that, but what do those mean in the specific instance of this study.

And this is why having non-medically/scientifically trained people having TONS of access to medical information opens us up to people who dont vax- they have just a little bit, just a sliver of information, about so many topics. They miss so much, as they should, as they are not trained to adequately know how to read and analyze and implement this information, which is why we fucking have doctors, and yet people dont listen to us.

SOAPBOX.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    The problem is that most people dont know how (and honestly, shouldnt, its irritatingly difficult to learn how to do it properly and they have no use for it in their lives) to properly read scientific literature and studies. Is the sample size adequate? Are there variables? What are they and how may each of these variables impact the results? Is it prospective or retrospective? What mathematical method did they use to analyze data? Does that mean we can trust the data? What is the confidence interval and the P value, and not just that, but what do those mean in the specific instance of this study.

And this is why having non-medically/scientifically trained people having TONS of access to medical information opens us up to people who dont vax- they have just a little bit, just a sliver of information, about so many topics. They miss so much, as they should, as they are not trained to adequately know how to read and analyze and implement this information, which is why we fucking have doctors, and yet people dont listen to us.

SOAPBOX.
    Preach.

I had a friend show me this article about how sugar in drinks causes hyperactivity. She was so excited that there was proof!!!11!

I read it, and the "researchers" didn't even control for the caffeine content of the drinks and they also presented no confidence intervals or p-values or anything
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

SOAPBOX.
    This!!!! Most people have to rely on the interpretations of others (who may or may not know how to properly interpret either), Unless they have learned how to properly interpret scientific literature. It leads to so much confusion and misinformation. Not just on the vaccine topic, but everything! DDT and other pesticides, Cancer linkages and associations, etc.

I Eelizah