Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey and Allergies

1. Senior Member

Honey and Allergies

Advertisements
    Why do people think 'local' honey helps allergies? Does anyone have anything that remotely proves a link between local honey and a decrease in allergy symptoms?

Last year I researched it to the hilt in the hopes that I could find just one thing that linked the two because I was literally dying after moving to this dirt bowl and pregnancy limited what I was willing to take for allergies. At that point I would have tried local dirt if someone told me it helped. Well, I found absolutely nothing linking the two, only studies proving that people are willing to fork over $$$ for a placebo.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. Senior Member
    I think it is an old wives tale.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think in theory it might help a bit but likely it doesn't make much of a difference. If you google "mayo clinic honey and allergies" there's a brief blurb about it written by a doc, and there are references to real journal articles about it at the bottom. I tried to post some links but my phones being dumb
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    It is one of those things that people have always heard so it must be true.
  5. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I think in theory it might help a bit but likely it doesn't make much of a difference. If you google "mayo clinic honey and allergies" there's a brief blurb about it written by a doc, and there are references to real journal articles about it at the bottom. I tried to post some links but my phones being dumb

Can you use honey for allergies? - Mayo Clinic

Rajan TV, et al. Effect of ingestion of honey on symptoms of rhinoconjunctivitis. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. 2002;88:198.

Heimal J, et al. Defining complementary and alternative medicine in allergies and asthma. Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology. 2004;27:93.

Saarinen K, et al. Birch pollen honey for birch pollen allergy: A randomized controlled pilot study. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology. 2011;155:160.
    Honey. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2012.

Engler RJ, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine for the allergist-immunologist: Where do I start? Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:309.

Botulism. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC - Botulism, General Information - NCZVED. Accessed Sept. 19, 2012.

There you go
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Oh I've read them all. The biggest one I read had three groups: Local honey, unpasteurized 'raw' honey and corn syrup. There was apparently no difference in symptoms between all three based on patient response. I guess that's the problem with this type of study, it's based on how the patient feels that it's working.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    all I know is I love me some fresh local honey and I don't even have allergies any excuse to lather that on anything is good by me!
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't specifically buy local honey for allergies, I buy local honey because it supports local businesses/farmers and because I think it tastes better than the store bought stuff. However, I know that when I mix a table spoon of it in with my coffee once a morning my allergy symptoms don't go away but they lessen.

9. Senior Member
    It doesn't work. However, immunotherapy works!!

I think it is just one of those old wives tales that gets passed around and instead of doing the research to see if it is true, people just blindly believe that it will work.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Works for my friend. I need to get there; but, you have to eat it raw. Not cooked.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast