Thread: Last Man Standing

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Confused Last Man Standing

Advertisements
    Rancher: armed feds are surrounding my farm

A two-decades-old battle between a Nevada rancher and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has resulted in officials armed with machine guns surrounding the ranch and forcibly removing the owner’s cattle, according to the rancher’s family.

Cliven Bundy, the last rancher in Clark County, Nev., has been fighting a “one-man range war” since 1993, when he decided to take a stand against the agency, refusing to pay fees for the right to graze on a ranch run by his family for centuries.

After years of court battles, the BLM secured a federal court order to have Bundy’s “trespass cattle” forcibly removed with heavy artillery, the family said.

“The battle’s been going on for 20 years,” Bundy told theWashington Free Beacon. “What’s happened the last two weeks, the United States government, the bureaus are getting this army together and they’re going to get their job done and they’re going to prove two things. They’re going to prove they can do it, and they’re gonna prove that they have unlimited power, and that they control the policing power over this public land. That’s what they’re trying to prove.”

“The Gold Butte area has been officially designated as critical habitat for threatened tortoises—meaning the area is essential to their long-term survival as a species.”
    According to this article his family has been ranching that land since the 1870s. I think it's so sad that this is happening. Here we think we own what we have. And we really never do.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/last-man-standing/
    Last edited by Eye; 04-09-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added link! SORRY!!!!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    Here we think we own what we have. And we really never do.
    What do you mean by the above? The land he has been ranching on is not owned by him and was not owned by his family, it is federal land.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    What do you mean by the above? The land he has been ranching on is not owned by him and was not owned by his family, it is federal land.
    Even the man himself refers to it as "public land" - NOT land owned by himself/his family.
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    It only became federal land in 1993. They've used the land since 1870.
  5. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    and he owns the cows. What are they gonna do for a living now? Become tortoise ranchers? JS.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    That article doesn't have enough information for me.
  7. Senior Member
    Since there was no article linked and I wanted more info, I found this. His family never owned the land, AFAICT. They used the land but it doesn't say the ever owned it.

I don't see how someone can complain about not being able to use land they don't own. It's unclear exactly what the situation was prior to 93, but unless his family did own the land and it was taken via immanent domain (and that's not what my article suggests), I don't see how it much matters. It's federal land. His animals are roaming that land and using a resource that isn't his, and they are endangering a protected habitat with they do it.

Sure, it's sad for him, but he was getting something for free and no longer is. That's hardly a travesty. He wants something for nothing. I hope authorities are able to end this without Mr. Bundy resorting to violence or bloodshed to try and protect what he is effectively stealing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    It only became federal land in 1993. They've used the land since 1870.
    Just because his family has been on that property since 1870 doesn't mean its 'theirs'..
    back then, whatever you squatted on was yours.. over time, many of those people had to 'pay' or file papers claiming ownership.

I can only assume (because the post doesn't have enough information) that his family didn't file the proper paperwork, or pay the proper fees to claim ownership, thus making it federal/public land. Because it is federal/public land, in order to graze on it he is required to pay a fee. Since he refused to pay the fee, his cows are trespassing and I can only assume (again) that means the cows are stray, and when stray animals are around they get taken away.

Do I think this guy should be entitled to own the land his family has been on for 100s of years.. yes. Do I think they should have gone through the proper channels to ensure the ownership of the land, yes.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Okay, as I understand it, its always been federal land, but in 1993, the rancher decided to stop paying grazing fees. Do I feel bad for him? Not one bit. He's had 20 years to fight it out in the courts, he lost, and he never made a contingency plan. What is he supposed to do for a living? No one is stopping him from razing cattle, they are just stopping him from razing cattle on federal land when he refuses to pay for the PRIVILEGE of using it.
  10. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Added link to OP. Sorry, I'm usually pretty good about that. Need more coffee!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast