Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should drug addicted mothers be charged with a misdemeanor?

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Should drug addicted mothers be charged with a misdemeanor?

Advertisements
    An interesting question was posed to me..

Should a mother who is a drug addict and pregnant with child, or birth's a child who is addicted, be charged with a misdemeanor?

What are your thoughts to that question?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member
    I'm thinking definitely not like automatically... But CPS should be involved.
  3. Senior Member
    I think CPS should be involved after the baby is born.

During pregnancy, I don't think anything should happen, other than helped finding treatment if requested. Being pregnant does not always mean having a baby, so to charge a mother with endangering a fetus that she has no intention of allowing to become a baby is a bit horrifying.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It is believed that they should be charged because its child abuse. That the mother knowingly and willingly inflicted pain/abuse upon the child.

My statement was, that it shouldn't be. But rather, the child taken away, then if the mother gets her act together she can get her kid back.
    I also said, if they deem drug addiction child abuse and make it a misdemeanor then they best make anything that is harmful to a fetus/child as a misdemeanor. Things such as smoking, drinking, caffeine, heck even if they eat sushi. All of those things can be (and sometimes more) just as harmful as drug addiction.

It was also said that making it a misdemeanor would/should/could stop the drug addiction from happening. I fail to see that.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    I think they should be given a choice

(A) enroll in a substance abuse program for pregnant/parenting women such as Horizons ( http://www.med.unc.edu/obgyn/Patient...rizons-program )

(B) have their child taken away and be charged with endangerment of a child

In the end these mothers need substance abuse treatment. And of course every situation is different and not all communities have programs such as Horizons. But I think women should be given a choice, seek treatment or face the consequences.
  6. Senior Member
    I'm torn on this one. Someone who has a drug addiction may have an extremely difficult time kicking their habit. They are putting their child in danger and I definitely think the child should be taken from them until they can prove they have cleaned up their act and can effectively take care of their child. I mean is charging her with a misdemeanor really going to help her in anyway? If being charged with a crime will force her to go to rehab, then maybe.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

During pregnancy, I don't think anything should happen, other than helped finding treatment if requested. Being pregnant does not always mean having a baby, so to charge a mother with endangering a fetus that she has no intention of allowing to become a baby is a bit horrifying.
    I agree with this. If you charge a mother with child abuse then it could set a precedent of abortion being murder, KWIM? I think if a child is born addicted, then yes, charge the mother.
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    No. Simply put, "addicted" is too general of a term. At what point does drug use become drug addiction?
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Since drug and alcohol addiction is considered a disease, no. I'm kinda on the fence though. Something should be done of course but to charge with child abuse will not fix the problem.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

I also think there's not really enough information anyway ... like just saying "drug addict + pregnant = misdemeanor" is too broad for me. Someone can be a drug addict and be completely clean, and someone can do drugs and harm a child even if they're not an addict. But just for an example, I don't think that an alcoholic should automatically be charged just for becoming pregnant. She might not even be drinking. And someone can drink enough to harm their baby without being an alcoholic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast