Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working/Personal life

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

Working/Personal life

Advertisements
    Does it bother you, when you go to a store, and the employees at the register are talking about significant others, weekend plans, parties, etc? As in not acknowledging you past "paper or plastic."

2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Do they even ask for paper or plastic in places still?

Me, personally.. I don't really want much conversation beyond the 'HI, how are you?' or 'Did you find everything today'... beyond that, if they are talking they aren't scanning my stuff fast enough, thus taking longer for me to get out.

I never understand why some stores require long, drug out conversations between cashier and customer.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When there is a customer in front of you, your attention should be on that customer. Personal chatter is for times when there are not customers.
  4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Do they even ask for paper or plastic in places still?

Me, personally.. I don't really want much conversation beyond the 'HI, how are you?' or 'Did you find everything today'... beyond that, if they are talking they aren't scanning my stuff fast enough, thus taking longer for me to get out.

I never understand why some stores require long, drug out conversations between cashier and customer.
    I get that at both Vons and the commissary.

5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    When there is a customer in front of you, your attention should be on that customer. Personal chatter is for times when there are not customers.
    This is where I am, too. I don't expect them to occupy me while they are doing their job, but don't completely ignore me to discuss what you're doing this weekend.

6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It does bother me sometimes, because it makes me feel awkward ... like I'm just in the way of their conversation. If it's something important (moreso than bagging groceries) I would also wonder how focused they are on the task at hand. Someone did that to me at McDonald's the other day and got my drink order wrong twice in a row and I think it's because she was concentrating on her friend more than me.

I would get in trouble if I acted that way at my job. If I want to make small talk I talk to the customer rather than the coworker next to me.

I will say, a lot of the transactions I do for customers are time consuming so I will normally have a conversation with them because there's not always a way to make the system go faster, and it feels awkward for me to just sit there silently while they watch me.
  7. Senior Member
    Talking to others and not acknowledging me the customer is unprofessional and plain rude. If it's egregious, I have been known to leave my items and walk out.
  8. Senior Member
    I agree. I don't really want to converse with the cashier but I think it's totally rude when they're paying no attention. I don't mind like if like I walk up while they're in the middle of a sentence and they quickly finish the thought or something though.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I agree. I don't really want to converse with the cashier but I think it's totally rude when they're paying no attention. I don't mind like if like I walk up while they're in the middle of a sentence and they quickly finish the thought or something though.

I worked in customer service for a long time and to me this just feels like a basic 'don't' of the job.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think it's very professional but I don't let it bother me if whatever I'm doing isn't effected. If the cashier is ringing up my groceries while she talks with someone, it's all good. If she's focused on the conversation and isn't sliding my items across the scanner, it would be mildly annoying.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast