Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cops, EMTs, Firefighters, Ambulance drivers... giving up 1st amendment rights

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Cops, EMTs, Firefighters, Ambulance drivers... giving up 1st amendment rights

Advertisements
    I am curious, and I cannot find any concrete laws or rules on this..

but.. when one becomes a Cop, EMT, firefighter, or even an ambulance driver, do they automatically give up their 1st amendment rights?
    Is it against the law for them to make statements, post pictures, etc, of generic information that even the average Joe public could get or post?
    Do they give up basic rights that any 'normal' citizen would have just because they are one of those professions?

Do you agree with that (if its true)?

Any other thoughts?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I am curious, and I cannot find any concrete laws or rules on this..

but.. when one becomes a Cop, EMT, firefighter, or even an ambulance driver, do they automatically give up their 1st amendment rights?
    Is it against the law for them to make statements, post pictures, etc, of generic information that even the average Joe public could get or post?
    Do they give up basic rights that any 'normal' citizen would have just because they are one of those professions?

Do you agree with that (if its true)?

Any other thoughts?
    - lots of professions come with a professional "filter"
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What kind of generic information do you mean? I'm trying to think of something a cop could say that's public information, but is against the law for him to say it and I'm kind of drawing a blank.

I mean I can think of all kinds of things that they're not supposed to say and could get fired for, but that would be criminal for them to say, I don't know .. can you give an example?
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I am not allowed to talk or post about my patients/clients without their permission. Its part of the profession. Its NBD. I dont feel like I am 'giving up' my 1st amendment. I am protecting patient confidentiality.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    like an accident...
    if any of those professions arrived on scene, or just left a scene and they took a generic pic of an accident, where there were no details or personal information, simply what a car, or all cars looked like...
    basically a pic that any random driver/person could take and post somewhere...

or, if a cop saw a fight of two people and simply said 'after today's fight i saw, just be careful who you trust' (or the like)..

or if an ambulance driver said they saw something and just gave random information or generic information about it.

Really, anything that they would see or witness that didn't divulge personal information, and that the public would have access to... are they not allowed to say or post anything about it?
    Do they give up those basic free rights just because of their job?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

My dad is a fire fighter, my uncle is an EMT and I'm married to an MP. I have never really seen any of them give up their first amendment rights due to their profession. They are required legally to maintain confidentiality in regards to patients or important cases but I've never really seen their freedom of speech imposed just because of this.

For example, the only concrete law I can really think of is the HIPAA Law which would maintain that my uncle cannot release confidential patient information to just anyone (ex. name, DOB, medical history etc.) and cannot transfer documentation of this electronically, but HIPAA rolls over into all medical professions, not just him alone as a paramedic.

7. Moderator

I don't think they give up the right, I think people may have different consequences for exercising their rights, based on profession. There's a difference between legal right and professional responsibility.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I don't think they give up the right, I think people may have different consequences for exercising their rights, based on profession. There's a difference between legal right and professional responsibility.
    This. And a lot of time it is not the law which prevents it, but part of their employment is dependent on their discretion.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    like an accident...
    if any of those professions arrived on scene, or just left a scene and they took a generic pic of an accident, where there were no details or personal information, simply what a car, or all cars looked like...
    basically a pic that any random driver/person could take and post somewhere...

or, if a cop saw a fight of two people and simply said 'after today's fight i saw, just be careful who you trust' (or the like)..

or if an ambulance driver said they saw something and just gave random information or generic information about it.

Really, anything that they would see or witness that didn't divulge personal information, and that the public would have access to... are they not allowed to say or post anything about it?
    Do they give up those basic free rights just because of their job?
    Well to me that kind of sounds like stuff they could potentially get in trouble at work for, but not something they would be criminally prosecuted for, so I wouldn't think of that as a first amendment issue. I think maybe I misunderstood the question though ...
  10. Senior Member
    I'm a firefighter emt.
    Just like you said not posting things that can identify someone by name, address or even lic plate. As long as those are not posted or any information where you can identify someone most time your ok. Now your jurisdiction may have more rules about this.
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast