Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Whiteface okay?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Is Whiteface okay?

Advertisements
    So we all know that blackface is not cool. But this just came up in my feed:

Nick Cannon Shares Whiteface Photo to Promote White People Party Music Album
    Nick Cannon Whiteface Photo to Promote White People Party Music LP - Us Weekly

Thoughts? Is it okay? Not okay?
  2. Senior Member
    Well, if black face isn't than I can not see why one would think white face is.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its a really good job!
    As for whether it is "ok" I don't know. Can't say. It is stereotyping. But what was the intent?
    Eddie Murphy did a very funny sketch about dressing up and acting "White" on SNL years ago. It was full of stereotypes, but still very funny.
    I try not to judge. I do agree though there is very much a "white person culture" and a "black person culture."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    It depends on context.
    "Blackface" is a very specific type of makeup and behavior that has its roots in racism. This, ehhh.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Right.

And no matter how someone uses "black face" they always get criticized and called a racist. Joking or not. Julianne whatever dressed as a black actress for Halloween, was not even dark at all, (she looked orange to me honestly) and got so much shit for it.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the intent really. If it's meant to be insulting, then no. If it's meant to degrade an ethnicity, yes. But, that's just my opinion
  7. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its a really good job!
    As for whether it is "ok" I don't know. Can't say. It is stereotyping. But what was the intent?
    Eddie Murphy did a very funny sketch about dressing up and acting "White" on SNL years ago. It was full of stereotypes, but still very funny.
    I try not to judge. I do agree though there is very much a "white person culture" and a "black person culture."
    It depends on context.
    "Blackface" is a very specific type of makeup and behavior that has its roots in racism. This, ehhh.

This is subversive humor, whereas blackface is historically racist. This isn't going to contribute to the development of harmful stereotypes that will perpetuate in our culture for decades.

I'm not offended, I'm just impressed by how well done Nick Cannon's makeup is.
  8. Senior Member
    It depends on context.
    Yep.

It's not really comparable to blackface because white people haven't been oppressed by black people for hundreds of years. Whiteface wasn't used to mock an entire race of people for comedy while they were being enslaved and abused. I don't have a problem with people still finding it offensive but it doesn't have the same history behind it so it's not really as hurtful.

Idk I wish he wouldn't have done the whiteface but I think the hashtags he used were pretty hilarious.
  9. Senior Member
    In that picture he looks just like my 18 year old cousin...it's pretty weird
  10. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

It depends on context.
    But what about when everyone went crazy when that white actress was Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black for Halloween? Everyone called that "blackface" even though she looked nothing like the "blackface" from history.

Actual "Blackface" is bad. I don't think other races dressing up as black characters and using bronzer to look darker is bad. If it is, so is wearing white makeup to look white.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast