Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking Other Young Family Members to Church?

Banned

Taking Other Young Family Members to Church?

Advertisements
    I'm watching a show called Preacher's Daughters, both the mom and father are ministers. Her oldest daughter does not want her daughter to go to church. This is made completely clear and understood.

When the grandmother (the preacher) had her granddaughter for the day she took her to church instead.

Would you ever do this? What would you do if a family member did it to you?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    No - I would not take another person's child (regardless of relationship to me) anywhere that the parent had expressed an objection to - that is not my place. Anyone that did so with MY child would no longer be allowed to have unsupervised time with my child until such time they had convinced me they were ready and willing to respect my wishes as the parent.
    Banned
    I would be so incredibly hurt not angry but hurt that my own family member has no respect for me at all as a person or a mother and the choices I make.

I'd be considering if I ever spoke to them again.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think taking a child anywhere that the parent(s) doesn't want them to be is incredibly wrong.

If that place is a church I could see how that would be even more upsetting/hurtful because that's really getting into a family's values and undermining that is really malicious.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I can see my in laws doing this with my boys. We are not religious and, as such, we don't go to church. If my boys want to go - to any religious institution - I will oblige but no one will take my kids without our absolute, specific permission to do so. I'd be very angry and both DH and I have talked about if this were to happen after my MIL tried to bully us into a christening for Wyatt when we visited when he was 2mos old. The kids wouldn't be allowed with that family member if they went against us like this. Period.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Was it a case of having no one else to stay with he child while the grandmother was at home? In that case she definitely should have contacted the parents beforehand to find alternative options.

Honestly, I don't think taking someone's child to church in itself is a huge problem. I have stayed with relatives and friend and gone to church with them without necessarily much discussion beforehand with my parents that I can remember. But the dauughter asked her explicitly not to. So she should have let her know that she had church to go to and let the daughter decide from there if she still wanted her to watch the kid. The grandmother should have respected her explicit wishes.
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    If the grandmother is going to church every sunday at the same time, I wouldn't let my child stay with her then (in that situation). I wouldn't expect my grandmother to not go to church because she is "babysitting" my kid.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my kid went to church with their grandmothers and did grandmotherly things.

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    If the grandmother is going to church every sunday at the same time, I wouldn't let my child stay with her then (in that situation). I wouldn't expect my grandmother to not go to church because she is "babysitting" my kid.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my kid went to church with their grandmothers and did grandmotherly things.
    This exactly. It's not fair to leave her child with her mother, on a day she goes to church, and expect her to skip it. But, I could care less if my kids went to church with their grandparents. We aren't religious, but my kids are more than welcome to be. Emma was going to choir practice with my MIL and SIL when she was a baby.

9. Senior Member
    Did the grandmother normally go to church during the babysitting time or did she make a special trip in order to take the child to church? Cause if it's the first, that's bad planning on the parents part. If it's the second, that's some BS and I would be SOOOO upset if someone did that behind my back.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post

Definitely this, unless it was like a one-time emergency situation. Like... if someone wanted me to babysit their kid during my church hours every week, they would absolutely have to understand that I WOULD be taking their child with me to church or they'd need to find someone else.

I wouldn't mind a family member taking my child to church with them if that's part of their routine and I knew it. If they were specifically trying to convert or deconvert my child it would be a problem, but I'd just make sure they didn't have my kid during church hours.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast