Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The entitlement generation

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

The entitlement generation

Advertisements
    OK so we all know how everyone loves to complain about how young adults (18-30ish) now are the entitlement generation.

But I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and I don't know ANYONE that was actually given everything they wanted as a kid. I don't know ANYONE who would fit the definition of it.

My question is, do you actually know anyone in real life, who was literally given anything without hard work?

I'm not talking about people who didn't have to work as teenagers, or people who got a car/phone/tuition from their parents. Those things are often dependent on really good grades, extracurriculatrs, other family values, etc.

I'm talking about the media-driven image of an 18-25 year old whose parents never said no, literally bought them everything, still pays for everything because they won't get a job, etc. Everyone I know has no issue with hard work at a job, or having to save to get a new car, or paying off their student loans themselves, or postponing starting a family.

The closest I would get to knowing someone IRL is a 4 year old girl, so not part of the "entitlement" generation.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    yes.. i know several.

They have no goals in life, no vision... they are just flying by willy nilly with the parents their to bail them out. I know of one, who has a job, but their parents pay for everything still, except their home. Parents pay for car, gas, utilities, student loans, food. Only thing this person has to pay for is the rent, and even that isn't always. They just have no concept on the value of a dollar or how to manage as an adult.

Also, my nieces and nephews... there hasn't been a day gone by that their parents haven't basically given them everything. All the kids have to do is just explain the reason for having and it BAM they got it. They expect their parents to give them everything, and don't understand what the meaning of the word no is. If (on the rare chance) their parents say no, they will then go to friends' parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, everyone and everyone to get what they want, and eventually they will get it. And they are all adults in the 18-30 range.

It even goes further... when you try to explain to them certain things they just can't grasp. Because of the entitlement nature of their being, they just don't understand why they cannot do whatever it is they want to do. For example, someone I know decides that they don't want to go to work for the day, and they expect to get paid (Without vacation) for just having a day off. When you try to explain how the working world operates, they just say 'well, i need a break, they work me hard they should just pay me to take a day off'... when you explain that is what accrued/earned vacation/pto is for they just look with a blank stare and just can't grasp.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    I think when people say, "given everything they want", they are speaking hyperbolically. No one believes there are tons and tons of kids who were given literally everything they wanted. But was this generation told "no" less than previous? I'd say they were, by and large.

Also, of course there are exception to this--people who turned out modest and hard working and with a strong sense of community and sacrifice, either because their parents were exceptions or because they became those things despite being spoiled. And it makes sense that those types would generally congregate together, so it also makes sense that if you aren't like that, none of your friends are either.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    I know a handful of people who fit into the entitlement generation idea. It's actually really sad.
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Yep, I do. I grew up upper class, a lot of my friends parents were very wealthy and they literally had everything handed to them all their lives. They are now my age, early to mid 20's and their parents still pay for everything. Apartment, car, insurance, gas, they have credit cards their parents pay for, and don't have jobs even though they have a college degree.

Even though my parents had money, I still had an allowance every month and if I blew through it, then oh freaking well...then I had better get a job if I wanted more money. I got a car at 16, but I also had a 4.0 GPA and that was my reward. I have an education trust fund that I used to pay my education, and will use to pay for my masters degree, and I am extremely grateful for it, and don't by any means take it for granted. Other than that, I never had anything handed to me. I had a horse and I worked at the equestrian center where he was boarded every day after school to help pay for his boarding.
  6. Senior Member
    Ya I have two cousins that pretty much get everything they want. One is 22 the other is 20. Even though their parents have a lot of debt, they still give them money for gas and take out loans to help them pay for vehicles, vehicles they don't need because they already have ones that work. The 22 year old has a full time job and I don't think they help her out quite as much, but the 20 year old only works part time, doesn't go to school, and really doesn't seem to want to get a full time job or finish her degree. And they are extremely rude to their dad. Both parents work 2 or 3 jobs just to pay their own bills and buy shit for the girls.
  7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Sadly, yes.

8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Yep I know a few one of them being my Cousin who is a little older than I am. His parents never tell him no, and IF one says no he just gets it from the other one..

He lives with his parents rent free. Knows his parents' credit card numbers and make online charges to them regularly. Like the time he spent a little over 600 on iTunes with his DD's credit card. While he was in collage... His dad said nothing to him about it.. His parents pay his phone bill, his car insurance, pay for his food, and IF he has a job then that is money he blows through just as fast as he gets the check. Which right now he is unemployed though since he quiet hid job just because "it wasn't for him and it was annoying".(must be nice...) He even openly admitted he knew his mom and dad would not make hmm go without stuff he needed/wanted.

Oh and the kicker for me is when my Cousin was in school. He had a decent job in the field he was going to school for. The pay wasn't amazing but it was still decent for a starting job from what he told me when we spoke.. He quit the job though once he got his bachelors. Just so he could go live with his mommy and daddy again and not have to do shit for anything he has...
    Signature removed due to size.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Every generation thinks the one after them needs to get offa their lawn. It's how it is.

But yeah my nephew, almost 25, still lives at home, blew a scholarship opportunity, I don't think he'd know how to make it on his own.
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    For those of you who said yes, do you think it's a symptom of the parenting style of the generation? I mean, there are going to be lazy bums in every generation. One of the most entitled, selfish people I know is an acquaintance of my dad, and he's in his late 60's. Never moved out, parents bailed him out of jail & DUIs, never held a steady job etc. I guess I just see it as more of a individual family problem rather than a generation-wide problem.

And I've heard from non-Caucasian friends my age that they completely do not understand it at all, because it seems to be a white, mid-to-upper class problem only. I've seen some media references lately that paint every 18-30 year old as a whiny brat and don't seem to cite any specific instances (other than that girl who is suing her parents!)
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast