Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform Rule May Keep Religious Americans From Military Service

1. sassypants
    sassypants

Uniform Rule May Keep Religious Americans From Military Service

Advertisements
    Uniform Rule May Keep Religious Americans From Military Service : NPR

what do you all think?

personally, my uneducated opinion is that if an american has the will to serve their country, they should be allowed to do so, there is always some type of job that needs to be filled.

Go him.
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

When you sign up for the job you agree to adhere to certain standards, such as uniform standards of which some have to do with safety. The facial hair rule is because you need to be able to have a proper seal with an SCBA or gas mask and beards can interfere with that. If you aren't willing to adhere to the rules, then don't sign up.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well, his arguments about streamlining the process for accomodations and that it kind of sucks that people have to adhere to them before the permission is granted make sense.

But it also seems like this is a new, evolving thing so I think it's natural for there to be some kinks to work out as new policy rolls out and people adjust. It seems like it's being worked on and I think that's a good thing.

Of course safety should come first, but my understanding is that it is possible (and he has demonstrated that he can) to seal a gas mask even with facial hair.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I believe it has been shown that you can properly seal masks with facial hair so as long as the individual is tested and passes, totally fine. But I think anyone in the military who wants to have neat, safe facial hair should be allowed to, not just those with religious reasoning.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I believe it has been shown that you can properly seal masks with facial hair so as long as the individual is tested and passes, totally fine. But I think anyone in the military who wants to have neat, safe facial hair should be allowed to, not just those with religious reasoning.
    That too. If you're going to make an exception you need to make it across the board.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    As a very girly girl, I love having my nails longer. As a doctor, I am not allowed to due to surgery and contamination risk. I give up my beautiful names for my job. If my nails were important enough to me, for any reason, to keep them long, then I could not do surgery.

Your beard is important to you. Dont care the reasoning. You dont wanna cut it, then dont. But dont get into a career that requires you to.
  7. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    When you sign up for the job you agree to adhere to certain standards, such as uniform standards of which some have to do with safety. The facial hair rule is because you need to be able to have a proper seal with an SCBA or gas mask and beards can interfere with that. If you aren't willing to adhere to the rules, then don't sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    As a very girly girl, I love having my nails longer. As a doctor, I am not allowed to due to surgery and contamination risk. I give up my beautiful names for my job. If my nails were important enough to me, for any reason, to keep them long, then I could not do surgery.

Your beard is important to you. Dont care the reasoning. You dont wanna cut it, then dont. But dont get into a career that requires you to.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't expect conservative Christian women to be allowed to wear long skirts at work in the military either, it wouldn't be safe or efficient for manual labor or combat.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    This.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. Senior Member
    The military requires dedication to the service above all else. If shaving the beard is too much of a sacrifice, that's cool, and I understand and can even respect that. But it means you may not have a place in the military.

Frankly, I don't think there should be any exception at all. That there is but it happens to be overly cumbersome seems like no problem at all to me.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    The military requires dedication to the service above all else. If shaving the beard is too much of a sacrifice, that's cool, and I understand and can even respect that. But it means you may not have a place in the military.

Frankly, I don't think there should be any exception at all. That there is but it happens to be overly cumbersome seems like no problem at all to me.
    Well, no, it requires protection of the Constitution above all else. And part of that is the freedom to practice ones religion. The beard ban started long before gas masks, and gas masks can be worn over beards.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast