Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sandy Hook shooter's dad speaks out

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

Sandy Hook shooter's dad speaks out

Advertisements
    This is a very long, intense story. I thought some folks might be interested in reading the father's perspective.

Father of Sandy Hook killer searches for answers

(In debates due to the subject matter.)
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I read it this morning. It was an interesting perspective. I did kind of feel like he tried (or maybe its the way the author wrote it) to push responsibility onto his ex wife. Either way, its a sad situation. I can't imagine having to live with the knowledge your child did something like that.

I do like the idea that he has allowed his son's DNA, records, etc to be studied to maybe get more information about what could have gone wrong.
  3. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    For spending dozens of hours with him it really doesn't say much.. Unless I'm missing half of the story.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I really hate that they're saying the mother wasn't a victim. She taught her son to shoot, not to shoot up a school (unless that DID happen, of course). She might not have known her son had any mental issues...none to that extreme at least. I'm sure if she thought he had something going on like that she would have brought him to a mental hospital or something.
  5. verabot89
    verabot89
    Sandy Hook is only about 30 minutes from my house. It's a pretty devastating story no matter the perspective. Everyone is a victim - no one was untouched by that event.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

6. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    For spending dozens of hours with him it really doesn't say much.. Unless I'm missing half of the story.

I found the article a little difficult to follow. Can't imagine being in his shoes, though.
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    The story is 8 pages, but I found the link hard to see . . . .

I think the dad is genuinely perplexed. I can also say from personal experience that it's hard sometimes to understand mental health assessments and some measurements can seem . . . . extreme. Somewhere, the article says the mom may not have taken some of the evaluation seriously and/or may have inadvertently made the situation worse. That, to me, is both frightening and saddening - I don't think either parent intended to do any harm - but what they perceived as reasonable behaviors due to Asperger's may have been symptoms of something different.

I recently read a book about Columbine. The differences between the two sets of parents there is an interesting study. I can't honestly say that those parents, nor these, obviously neglected something they should have seen.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahcuda View Post

I found the article a little difficult to follow. Can't imagine being in his shoes, though.
    I thought it was a little hard to follow because the writing style was a little scattered.

I don't know that either parent could be said to be at fault but with the way the mother described him acting (or at least the email account of the way she described it) it does sound like she was aware he had a fascination with guns and such and I'd think the story that he wrote about the killer granny would have been a big red flag even if it was when he was younger. I would think that if you lived in such close quarters with a person who was so obviously disturbed that you'd keep some tabs on what he was doing online and such. I don't think the mother is to blame but I do think that she could've taken things more seriously and at least seen it coming.

I feel like the father should have forced the issue of seeing Adam, I know he didn't want to fight with him but he is his father and he should've at least had visual contact with him during the time he was refusing to see him.

In the end I feel bad for the dad and the brother because I can't imagine living the rest of my life knowing what my son/brother had done. They are never going to escape the legacy and that is a cruel punishment.