Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning vacations during school year

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Planning vacations during school year

Advertisements
    I put this in debates because I don't know how this will go.

In light of all the closures due to weather, our district is now scrambling to try to figure out how to make up the 5 or so days that we lost.

Well, I am like 'meh, whatever'. meaning whatever they decide will likely have zero effect on me. Why, because I don't plan anything during the school year, such as vacations or what not. Albeit except this year. Spring break we are going down to bring the hubby home.

Well, all the parents I know are in an uproar because the recommendation is to extend the school year 3 days to 20 June. The reason they are mad? because they planned their vacations already and are planning to either go or send their kids away on the weekend before or the day after the original end of school date (17 june).

Now, I personally do not schedule anything to happen until the weekend after the last day of school, nor do I really plan any vacations during the school year, because I am a proponent for keeping kids in school and not really taking them out for a vacation.

My question is, would you (or do you) plan vacations or the like during the school year?
    Knowing that you were at risk for losing days due to weather, would you still go ahead an plan the vacation (a vacation that wasn't planned prior to closings), with the risk that the absence could be unexcused and risk failure?

The reason I ask these questions is because of all these parents that have already or just recently booked and paid for their vacations, knowing we were at risk of having to make up days prior to making plans.

As a side or additional question, do you think the school board should take into consideration the possibility of said vacations when making their decisions?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it's kinda silly to plan a vacation the minute your kids get out of school. (Obviously that's all personal opinion) If my parents had done that I'd have been mad because the first week or so I was out of school for the summer I wanted to do NOTHING but lay around and sleep late

I wouldn't plan a vacation that close to the end of the school year but more towards the middle of the summer so there's no possibility that the school year would be extended and no possibility that it would encroach on our planned vacay. That being said, if there was a special occasion or something and it fell right at that time then I think I'd talk to the school and try to work something out so that my child would not miss any work on those last days so that we were able to make it to whatever the occasion was as a family.

3. Senior Member
    In this family....vacations are for breaks during school. Spring break, summer break, winter break etc. We do not with the exception of once take vacation when the kids have school. I won't judge others for it, but if your kid fails because they missed to many days, or you go to court because your kid missed to many days etc, don't cry to me.
  4. Senior Member
    I would absolutely plan vacations during school breaks. My parents planned vacations that started the day after school let out. I don't see anything wrong with that. But, here there is never a risk of the school year being extended. That would never happen. We also only have 6 weeks of summer holidays, so yeah, not wasting time
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    See for things like an important family function I could maybe see.. but just a random (or annual) family vacation.. I don't agree. Mind you anyone can do what they want, but IMO.. kids should be in session until the school deems they are done. Now, if it were like April or May and school gets out in June and I had to book my trip, okay MAYBE.. I guess my beef is, some of these parents booked their vacations in December and January knowing we were already having to make up 2 or 3 days at that point. WHY would they (you-general) plan a vacation and pay for it knowing we were already going to have to make up 2-3 days (now 5 days)...

IDK.. I'm like y'all.. I don't book or plan anything until the weekend after school gets out, and I try to plan (if needed) anything else during breaks (christmas and spring). But we rarely go anywhere, and I just tell everyone don't expect me to do nothin until like early July because of school...

this is just a peeve of mine. I don't understand why parents are getting all upset with the school board for encroaching on their vacation they planned to start on 18 june (day after original end date)...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    As a teacher, I can't tell you how much I HATE it when parents plan vacations in the middle of the school year (not on breaks). Sometimes I've had kids be gone for a week, and the parents insist on tier child having the work they will miss. First of all, they are missing the instruction, so it's hard for the student to do the work the way we did in class because... They aren't in class. Second, I have tons of resources at my disposal. As a result, I'm not always 100% sure WHICH resource I will use more than 2-3 days out. I get forced into either giving a kid assignments that I'm not always sure I'm going to use, or making them wait and parents grumbling because I'm "unprepared" or refuse to give their child work so they have to make it all up when they get back.

Kids miss SO much if they miss more than a day of class. As I got older I remember fighting with my mom that I wasn't sick enough to stay home, just because missing school was so tough.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    See for things like an important family function I could maybe see.. but just a random (or annual) family vacation.. I don't agree. Mind you anyone can do what they want, but IMO.. kids should be in session until the school deems they are done. Now, if it were like April or May and school gets out in June and I had to book my trip, okay MAYBE.. I guess my beef is, some of these parents booked their vacations in December and January knowing we were already having to make up 2 or 3 days at that point. WHY would they (you-general) plan a vacation and pay for it knowing we were already going to have to make up 2-3 days (now 5 days)...

IDK.. I'm like y'all.. I don't book or plan anything until the weekend after school gets out, and I try to plan (if needed) anything else during breaks (christmas and spring). But we rarely go anywhere, and I just tell everyone don't expect me to do nothin until like early July because of school...

this is just a peeve of mine. I don't understand why parents are getting all upset with the school board for encroaching on their vacation they planned to start on 18 june (day after original end date)...
    Cause parents have to hand in vacation time a long time before the school year ends and sometimes it's cheaper if you book in advance Our holidays are fixed dates by the state and no school can just change them, so I guess it would have never occurred to me that schools can just extend the school year if they want to. For me, when I'm told the school year ends at a certain day, I expect that day to stay the same. And really, sometimes planning far in advance can save a lot of money, so I can't fault parents for booking early.
  8. Senior Member
    We always did vacations during breaks and sometimes right after/right before school getting out/starting. Nothing wrong with planning a vacation when school is not planned to be in session. Personally, if for some reason. The school year got extended and it interfered with my vacation. NBD. My kids just wouldn't attend the days we had something planned. No reason that should mean failure. If there are tests or something they'll take them early.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it is ridiculous to plan vacations during the school year. Kids are in school for a reason.

It's one thing to plan on going to the beach 2 hours away during Spring Break. It's another thing planning on going clear across the country or world.

We don't usually do big vacations anyway so it really is a none issue for me. However when we do plan something, it is always in the July time frame. That gives the kids downtime locally when school gets out & still gives us plenty of time to return from the trip & recover before school starts. During Spring Break, we plan activities that are all within a few hours from home.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I just don't get the school system It's worse than discussing religion or politics for me

I suppose to answer the question, if for some reason I became possessed to send my theoretical children to school, I would not plan vacations while they were supposed to be in school, but I would plan whatever we wanted to do during breaks, and if it worked out best for that to mean the day after Summer break, yes I would conceivably do that. What I wouldn't do is live my life around things I can't control. I don't control the weather, nor do I control the school district deciding on snow days or not. There could be a million good reasons to plan a vacation for the first day of Summer Break, and I wouldn't change my plans just because the school changed theirs. But, thank all that is good, I will never have to be in this situation
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast