Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Wearing Uniforms In Public?

Banned

Wearing Uniforms In Public?

Advertisements
    I'm curious what people's opinion is one wearing Uniforms (cammies more so that full dress) out when not doing something military related?

Example: Going to a concert or sports game in your uniform when you're just on a date or out with friends.
  2. Senior Member
    I think it's really weird to purposely wear a uniform of any kind to an event that is unrelated. Someone wouldn't dress as a cop, a fireman, a marching band member, etc, so it shouldn't be any different for military members.

It IS different if they are on lunch break and getting lunch or something though.
  3. Senior Member

Yeah no thanks. The only time I wore mine to a sporting even was during basic when we got to go to a Spurs game and they made us wear blues. I don't even like going to the BX or Commissary with my uniform on.

Who am I kidding, I don't even like wearing it to work!
  4. Senior Member
    Cammies are a working uniform. I don't think they should be worn in public when not doing something military related, unless they are on a lunch break or something of that nature.
    Banned
    That's what I thought. Someone I know is dating an army guard member and he wore his uniform to a concert. It makes me wonder if they're doing it hoping to get benefits (discounts upgrades) from it.
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Marines aren't allowed to go anywhere except to and from base in cammies. AF & Army have different rules-- I couldn't even begin to guess what they are.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think it depends on why. A lot of the members that come into my work are on break from their own work and trying to get business taken care of. I get why they come in in uniform and I think taking time to change before/after they conduct their business with us would be super inconvenient, so it doesn't bother me.

Doing it just to look cool or get free swag or whatever is weird, but it doesn't really bother me. I don't care if they do or not. Although my understanding is that technically they could get in trouble for doing it.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    That's what I thought. Someone I know is dating an army guard member and he wore his uniform to a concert. It makes me wonder if they're doing it hoping to get benefits (discounts upgrades) from it.
    Sadly that's the goal of many.

I think it can be strange but I think there are also always unknown circumstances. DH has shown up to weddings, my siblings music concerts, church etc. In his ACUs because he needed to be somewhere either before or after the event for work and didn't have time to change. It always bugs him though. As for his dress uniform he wears it to formal events in place of a suit/tux when needed even if it's not work related.
  9. Regular Member
    I'm a manager at an amusement park, and I have seen a few guys (it's always been guys, I've never seen a female) come out to the park in their uniform. It always struck me as a little strange. It doesn't happen often, and now that I think about it, I haven't seen it in a couple years.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    DH is Navy and he has said he is not allowed to wear his cammies out and about. It actually bugs him when he sees other guys hanging out at places like walmart in their uniforms. We see that a LOT here, and we saw it a lot in CA too... It's one thing if they are grabbing lunch, but it's another to see a group of guys just hanging out in like the DVD section of a store not even close to the base.

It is just weird to me to wear any type of work uniform out in public to hang around in it...
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast