Thread: Russian villagers say the Olympics have ruined their town

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Russian villagers say the Olympics have ruined their town

Advertisements
    Russian villagers say the Olympics have ruined their town - CBS News

The Russians are very proud of what they've built here: a gleaming Olympic park in what used to be a swamp, a spanking new ski center in what used to be wilderness, and what may be the world's most expensive road and rail link between them.

But here in the village of Akhtyr, half-way between the two venues, they're decidedly lacking in Olympic spirit.

They say the Games have ruined their lives.

When the new highway through their valley was built, they were not only cut off from it -- they were also cut off from the old road they used to use.

Now, Valya Primyakova told us, what was a 15-minute walk to get the bus to work has become a two-hour, cross-country trek. Military guards block their' way to the rickety footbridge they used to use.

"They cut us off," Primyakova said in Russian. "We're locked in."

Asked if the Olympics have been a good thing for her, Primyakova replied vehemently: "Nyet!"

No, the Olympics have not been good at all for the villagers.

Not good: Heavy construction and traffic have chewed up the road through town and turned it into a dust bowl.

Not good: Digging in the quarry above town has ruined the residentsí wells, so that water has to be brought by truck.

Yet their complaints to local authorities have been ignored.
    My MIL posted about this today. She is not going to be watching the Olympics. Did you see it?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    shameful.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sounds a lot like the situation with the prep for the World Cup prep in Brazil
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    This is standard fare for the Olympics. It is a financial bomb for the state and country, it is a pain and incredibly inconvenient for the locals, and the governments are pressured into changing laws and curbing people's civil rights before and during.

But its sad she is not going to be watching it, especially if she wants to see and support some very talented athletes who have been training their whole lives to get here.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Putin spent $50billion. Yes, billion. More than any other games, summer or winter. And yet the reports from Sochi are hotels without door knobs, water that is yellow and "dangerous so do not use on your face", hotel rooms without light bulbs, tandem toilets, manholes without covers, and many more signs that this Olympics will not be the polished showpiece that nearly all others are. Somewhere, it all seemed to have gone horribly wrong, and it looks like these Olympics might end up being a big, sad joke. I doubt Putin will be laughing, however.

The true games, and their legacy, remain to be seen, of course. But in the past, the obscene amounts of money and questionable civil rights issues have lead to a few weeks of splendor. In this case, it seems the people of Russia paid an even higher price than those of other hose nations, and yet the result still looks to fall far short of any other Games.

I'm sure Putin aggressively pursued the games because he wanted to world to see Russia as once again first rate and valid. He's have been better off just skipping it, as he got the world stage he desired, and from the opening press, it looks like he's going to prove himself, and Russia, a poor player indeed.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Banned
    Banned
    That's sad. I also had no idea all this money was spent and there are still so many things wrong. I did hear they are having a very hard time selling tickets to these events.
  7. Senior Member
    I don't watch them anyway (not interesting). But I find it interesting they start soon and Russia is not ready for them.

Have fun with that athletes, have fun.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    They start like.. Friday..

I'm sure every host country has had their locals put out. Its shameful no matter the country. Doesn't mean I won't watch to support American athletes.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    This is the problem when the Olympics Committee grants authoritarian countries the ability to host them. China constructed Beijing's Olympic facilities literally over Beijing residents' homes, with no compensation or alternative. I sympathize for the villages, they probably won't have any positive outcome of even airing their stories.
  10. Regular Member
    I saw all that stuff about the hotels not being ready it is crazy. I would be scared to stay there. I feel so bad for all the local people that the government even refuses to acknowledge all the hardships they are having to go through for the games. Hopefully after the games are over there won't be so many guards and they will be able to go back to at least using the bridge again.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast