Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Student Discount

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Student Discount

Advertisements
    This probably won't get heated but I put it in here just in case.

Anyway, I'm reading Yelp reviews of local restaurants and one woman gave a place a 1-star review because they wouldn't give her 8 year old kid the student discount. Their policy was to check for a student ID and the kid didn't have one but the mom said "she's only 8 years old but she's a student obviously."

I've always been under the impression that "student discount" applied to college students. Not elementary school students I can't imagine getting so upset about it, especially when there was a kid's menu for smaller/cheaper meals.

What do you think? Should it apply to more than college students?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member

Yeah... It should be for college students. Maybe high school... But the reason (in my opinion) is that college students have all the school expenses without the opportunity to work full time to pay.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ... I always thought it was for college students, too. Never heard of any gradeschoolers getting discounts.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think establishments are free to make whatever requirements they wish for any discount they choose to offer (ie seeing an ID to show eligibility) and people can either adhere to those requirements or STFU
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Ummm, that's why there's kid meals! I assumed "student" primarily referred to college kids and perhaps high schoolers..
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i always thought it was meant for hs and college students… i mean 8 yr olds can still get the kids menu is that already a discount?
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't think there's really a should ... if a business wants to do a discount for ANY student with an ID, college or not, I don't really see a problem with that. It's their choice how they want to offer it. High school students here have told me they get discounts at different places for their school IDs. There's nothing wrong with offering a discount to different groups of people.

That said, if I want a discount and a business doesn't offer it to me, I don't think that means their policy is bad. Just that I don't qualify. So I can either deal with it and pay full price, or shop elsewhere.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No. It should be for college. College costs money. Some need to take out loans just to go to college. Some cannot work due to their classes/schedule. An 8 year old doesn't pay for their education. *If* they go to private school their parent pays and it isn't a necessity to go to private. There is always public school. It may not be the best option for them or the ideal option but it is there.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I don't think there's really a should ... if a business wants to do a discount for ANY student with an ID, college or not, I don't really see a problem with that. It's their choice how they want to offer it. High school students here have told me they get discounts at different places for their school IDs. There's nothing wrong with offering a discount to different groups of people.

That said, if I want a discount and a business doesn't offer it to me, I don't think that means their policy is bad. Just that I don't qualify. So I can either deal with it and pay full price, or shop elsewhere.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I guess the other way to look at it is, I don't think someone is entitled to a discount just because they're a college student.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast