Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

Advertisements
    So - the Winter Olympics are almost here.

Some politicians (ie Maine Senator Angus King) are saying they wouldn't attend for security reasons.

Lauren released images of the US opening ceremonies attire:

Thoughts? Is it a security risk? Would you attend? Like the attire?
    Banned
    Definitely would not ho for multiple reasons, not just terrorism/security. With their archaic laws against homosexuality I would never go and spend my money to help the Russian economy. I've also heard certain buildings and competition locations aren't ready yet.

It just seems like a big unorganized chaotic mess.

And that Polo jacket is fug, it looks like you gave a 10 yr old pieces of the flag and let her go to town on a sewing machine.
  3. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I'm still processing the security thing - it bothers me a little for public figures to be so opposed - I don't know if I hold that against them or if it's best for them to be honest.

As far as I'm concerned, that picture "looks like my great Aunt Tessie!" (Extra points for anyone who can identify that quote.)
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't attend simply because Russia is not where I would want to go. The attire is hideous! Sure the outfit sticks out like a sore thumb but I don't think that makes them any more in danger than they already would be. If someone intends on killing the athletes, they will find a way, hideous outfit for not.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I'm still processing the security thing - it bothers me a little for public figures to be so opposed - I don't know if I hold that against them or if it's best for them to be honest.

As far as I'm concerned, that picture "looks like my great Aunt Tessie!" (Extra points for anyone who can identify that quote.)
    Ron Weasley, Harry Potter.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  6. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Ron Weasley, Harry Potter.

I wouldn't be opposed to visiting Russia. I would like to see the . . . darn, my brain is melting . . . cathedrals that have the onion shape that aren't coming to mind.

I read a story that Sochi citizens were displaced for Olympic structures, have been left without even their outhouse (never mind running toilets), and are basically living in slums.

The US isn't without infrastructure problems - I know this, and I'm sure Salt Lake City has slums, but the level of disparity really strikes me.
  7. Senior Member
    Attire is stupid as almost always. I would not go due to Putin's behavior and attitude toward gays, but I sooooooooooooooo want to go to Russia.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would like to go to Russia, but I don't believe that the Russia visitors will see during the Olympics would be the Russia I would enjoy.

I do think that there are security risks. I think the statements that they have made regarding visitors respecting their views, while understandable in the sense of how a guest acts towards a host, are something that a host should never express. A gracious host makes a stance of being accommodating to it's guest, a gracious host does not stomp their feet and demand respect because they are the host.

As for the outfit, for what it is and the situation it will be seen in, a mass of athletes walking in together wearing the outfit, it isn't bad. It's not something that I want to rush out and buy to wear for my next ski trip, but that isn't the point of the outfit. For it's purpose I think it's cute and I've certainly seen worse.
  9. Senior Member
    I wouldn't be going because of the laws against gay people and how they are treated there. Some of our politicians have actually stated that they won't be attending because of the anti-gay laws. I think most outfits usually look weird. Our team's outfit is rainbow colored, and while I appreciate the statement, it kinda looks weird
  10. Senior Member
    I would attend. I'd be nervous and cautious, but I'd attend.

I'd also be nervous attending a big parade in Boston or a 4th of July event in NYC. And I'd still go to those as well.

I think the outfit looks generally like an Olympic outfit. They aren't usually things people would wear on the streets. But for what it is, I think it's appropriate.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast