Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sperm Donor Ordered to pay support

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Sperm Donor Ordered to pay support

Advertisements
    I put this here because i'm not sure how this will go...
    I also didn't see it posted anywhere else.

In short (I don't have all the articles, just this one) a sperm-donor is ordered to pay support...

Kansas sperm donor to appeal ruling over child support

What are your thoughts on this case?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Personally, I think its crap.
    The article says that he stated he signed a contract that freed him of any parental responsibilities.
    To me, it should not matter if it was done via physician or not. If he has a legal contract stating all parent rights extinguished then it should be honored.

I know of many lesbian couples that do the insemination on their own without the aide of physicians.. buying their sperm online or asking for donations (similar to what this lesbian couple did).

I don't know the jist of the story as to why there is now only one woman. But, if it resulted in a failed relationship and one mother got custody.. then i'm sorry, but because the relationship failed doesn't mean you go after the sperm donor for $$.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is why you go the "official" route rather than finding a sperm donor on CL and doing a private contract -- sure, it's cheaper in the short run, but legal issues like this make it much more expensive in the long run Why neither side of the equation bothered to actually research the issue as it is spelled out by their state statutes is beyond me considering the gravity of what they were doing.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I might have read the article too quickly but is it the mother looking to collect child support or the Department of Family Services and was the contract drawn up by a lawyer or just written up between the three people?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    I might have read the article too quickly but is it the mother looking to collect child support or the Department of Family Services and was the contract drawn up by a lawyer or just written up between the three people?
    The mother has received public assistance ($6,000 per the article) - as such the state is seeking to recover that expense from the father which is standard procedure. It is better for the state to have the other parent pay - so they will seek court ordered support to repay what has already been extended and prevent future expenses on the part of state assistance -- none of which would have been an issue had the procedure been done according to regulatory requirements.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time, he should have made SURE he had a contract which states that he will not ever be responsible for such things as child support. . Sounds like he just wanted to make some money off craigslist. Why wouldn't you get a lawyer to draw up a contract to cover your butt?
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Personally, I think its crap.
    The article says that he stated he signed a contract that freed him of any parental responsibilities.
    To me, it should not matter if it was done via physician or not. If he has a legal contract stating all parent rights extinguished then it should be honored.

I know of many lesbian couples that do the insemination on their own without the aide of physicians.. buying their sperm online or asking for donations (similar to what this lesbian couple did).

I don't know the jist of the story as to why there is now only one woman. But, if it resulted in a failed relationship and one mother got custody.. then i'm sorry, but because the relationship failed doesn't mean you go after the sperm donor for $$.
    Just on the bolded - Failed relationship yes. Other party is now on disability and cannot support. Mom with child is attempting to receive state aid. State goes after sperm donor for support.

Will comment more on this later, but wanted to touch on this.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    This is why you go the "official" route rather than finding a sperm donor on CL and doing a private contract -- sure, it's cheaper in the short run, but legal issues like this make it much more expensive in the long run Why neither side of the equation bothered to actually research the issue as it is spelled out by their state statutes is beyond me considering the gravity of what they were doing.
    but if that contract was legal it shouldn't matter.

9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    my other issue is.. how did the state know he's the father?
    the mother who delivered should not have even put his name on the birth certificate.

I get that state is asking for the $$ back, but the woman should never have put his name on the certificate to begin with. He has proven to the state that he is legally not obligated to those children. A legal contract is a legal contract.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    but if that contract was legal it shouldn't matter.
    Technically, it wasn't legal as the State doesn't allow for contracts like that to be made.

This is not much different than dad's not being able to just sign away rights, even if the mom and dad both agree to it. Because the State has an interest in the matter, since they can be turned to for financial support. The mom and dad can't enter into a contract that waives the rights of the state to make a parent care for his child, in effect.

I would support laws that allowed more broad sperm donation principals, but if we don't have some sort of guidelines in place--more than just mom and dad sign a contract--then I think we open the door for people to claim dad was just a "sperm donor", so he doesn't have to pay and mom can receive support. Fake a date, sign it and suddenly "dad" is no just a sperm donor.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast