Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Blackfish

1. Banned
    Banned

The Truth about Blackfish

Advertisements
    I will put this in debates, just incase.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know there's been quite a bit of talk, and people saying they will boycott Sea World over it. Here's just another perspective. I realize it comes from Sea World, so it may be just as biased as I imagine the movie is (again, haven't seen it) but it's always nice to hear both sides.

Truth About Blackfish | SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    "truth" is relative - that's all I gots to say about that.
    ETA - and that goes for both sides of situations like this -- both sides have their own, skewed, presentation of "facts" based on their agenda and, somewhere in the middle, is the actual truth of the situation. In this particular situation I side with team Blackfish, but have long been no fan of SeaWorld, etc
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    of course Sea World is going to say that
  4. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMockingjay View Post
    of course Sea World is going to say that

5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I get the point of having both sides I still don't believe it. I do think the documentary exaggerated some things, but not some of the big parts.
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    "truth" is relative - that's all I gots to say about that.
    ETA - and that goes for both sides of situations like this -- both sides have their own, skewed, presentation of "facts" based on their agenda and, somewhere in the middle, is the actual truth of the situation. In this particular situation I side with team Blackfish, but have long been no fan of SeaWorld, etc

Although I don't know that I side either way. Seaworld can say all they want that they have safety procautions and I'm sure they do. But that doesn't mean that at their parks those are taken seriously or used the way that corporate would want them to be. Every place I've worked has rules and regulations and the longer it's been in business and the more employees it has the more those get skewed and skirted around I think if you've ever watched the show Undercover Boss you can see that clearly.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Utter horse shit. I kind of wish you had bothered to watch the film before posting this because I could easily counter each point in this article and false but I'm eating lunch so it'll take a minute.

The truth about blackfish is that what humans are doing to these animals is horrific.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Utter horse shit. I kind of wish you had bothered to watch the film before posting this because I could easily counter each point in this article and false but I'm eating lunch so it'll take a minute.

The truth about blackfish is that what humans are doing to these animals is horrific.
    Oh, you still can, when you have some time. I mean, I just posted this for everyone, not just to make a point that one or the other side is wrong. I don't go and watch these shows, because even without watching Blackfish, I feel bad for these huge animals who are held in captivity in such small space when their natural habitat is a huge ocean.
  9. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I think Seaworld needs to aknowledge they aren't as all good has they seem to think they are, even a 5 year can figure out that those whales don't have enough space in there, like the documentary said, in the wild when they have a fight they can get away, in captivity they can't at all they get bullied instead. Not to mention that the neuro scientist made a damn good point of when they move whales around, they don't do it for the good of the whales, when you take whales from one pod and put them in another, it's like taking someone from China and throwing them into an American family and not giving them any out when they get overwhelmed.
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Oh, you still can, when you have some time. I mean, I just posted this for everyone, not just to make a point that one or the other side is wrong. I don't go and watch these shows, because even without watching Blackfish, I feel bad for these huge animals who are held in captivity in such small space when their natural habitat is a huge ocean.
    I get that, it was really hard for me to watch it, but I think if you had you would have realized this article is nonsense.

1. "Through stock footage and video mismatched to the narrative, the film implies that SeaWorld collects killer whales from the wild and separates mothers and calves. NEITHER IS TRUE."

The film (to me) makes it clear that SeaWorld used to collect whales from the wild, but stopped that practice and now artificially inseminates. One reason Tilikum is still so valuable to them. Also, the film discusses whale pods and how their families stay together. It clearly said in the film that Kalina was four years old. To SeaWorld business execs that may mean she's not a baby, but they have no right to imply or claim to understand how upsetting it was/is for her and her mother to be separated. They wouldn't be normally. Same for 12 year old Takara. Their families are not meant to be separated and honestly, whales live up to 100 years. So basically the same scale as a human, 4 and 12 to me are still young. Really can't see how they're trying to justify that.

2. " Tilikum was not collected by us"

No shit. The film clearly states that as well.

3. "These individuals, who speak with apparent authority, have little or no firsthand knowledge of the incidents they describe. Most of them had no experience with Tilikum, and several never even performed with killer whales in the water."

Again, whoever wrote this article to pick the film apart...I'm starting to doubt they watched the film. One of the men interviewed DID have experience with Tilikum. The other trainers never claimed to have worked first hand with him. A huge part of the film is going over all documented killer whale/trainer incidents and a huge point that was made by these trainers was that they were never told about it, some felt it was purposefully kept from them (including that before SeaWorld owned him, Tilikum had killed). So, again, no fucking shit they didn't have first hand accounts.

4. "The film relies heavily on the dubious reflections of scientists who have aggressively campaigned against marine mammal display for decades, and have no expertise with killer whale behavior in captivity"

I didn't know scientists weren't allowed to develop ideas on what is right and wrong based on what's currently known. Also, this paragraph (the whole one in the article) is trying to make it sound like they aren't scientists at all, so it doesn't mention (and I have a terrible memory so I don't want to falsely claim) what it is their expertise is in....if not captive whales, perhaps, wild whales?

5. "The film falsely suggests that SeaWorld “blamed” Ms. Brancheau for her death. We have never done that."

I specifically remember when she died, I was waiting at the pharmacy in FL when I saw news reports on it and an old man muttered that if it were a dog we'd shoot it. Later on, I remember hearing a report (or interview? I'm not sure) that it was thought the whale grabbed her pony tail because he wanted to keep playing and she was walking away. I at the time thought that made sense. I don't know whales, but I do know dogs and sometimes the less mannered ones will "grab" your hand if you're trying to leave while it still wants to play. When I watched the film, I was reminded that this theory had been on the news, and saw that it wasn't true and they were trying to say she "knew better" than to have a long pony tail near a whale.

6. "Tilikum had engaged in numerous interactions with trainers and veterinarians safely and without incident over a period of 18 years."

Except those three deaths. NBD. Granted, I will give you, the intruder could have died from drowning, cold, etc...and yes, there were two other whales also involved in the first death. I can't however say I'm surprised that the coroners office couldn't specify which whale had killed/instigated the killing. How could they without film or footage or being there? The eye witnesses are the only thing to go off, so we all just have to make our own conclusions. The coroners office has to go with "well we can't tell so ".

7. "SeaWorld was aware of Keltie Byrne’s death when it acquired Tilikum."

I'm sure they were, but it doesn't mean all the trainers were. However you want to view that is up to you. I have no idea if it was kept secret, or if those trainers just missed that info.

Conclusion: For me, it's clear what is going on is wrong. I understand some of the trainers interviewed may have out of date information, particularly pertaining to training, safety standards etc...Every job changes over time. The people who are my DH's bosses learned completely different policies and procedures in the 90s, then DH did a few years ago at tech school. So if anything, I'll take the film overall with a wider view than to nitpick training policies. And they keep saying things were used dramatically and out of order, yes that is generally how films, documentaries, news clips, etc...are made. As long as it doesn't distort the actual meaning (which is this case I don't think it does), yes you are going to use visual clips and sound clips and play them in certain orders. I think SeaWorld is really grasping at straws here though trying to discredit the entire thing, when the big picture is clear that there is something terribly wrong with what we're doing with these animals.

*all "you"s are general.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast