Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bachelor/theoretical gay bachelor comments

1. Moderator

The Bachelor/theoretical gay bachelor comments

Advertisements
    Juan Pablo Galavis Apologizes After Controversial Gay Bachelor Remarks : People.com Mobile

On the kindle, so I can't c/p the article, if someone wants to that'd be cool!

So do you buy his excuse? What do you think this will do to this season's ratings?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First, I must live under the biggest rock because I not only didn't know that Juan Pablo was chosen for this season but also didn't realize the season started

Second, I'm kinda on the fence about that apology. Yeah, English isn't his first language but come on, really? Perverts? Surely that doesn't translate very nicely into Spanish, either, especially on such a hot topic. Also, even his further explanation is just such a broad generalization of the LGBT community - they're more intense and affectionate? I think he's just stumbling over his own words at this point trying to stick a band aid over himself.
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Juan Pablo Galavis Apologizes After Controversial Gay Bachelor Remarks : People.com Mobile

On the kindle, so I can't c/p the article, if someone wants to that'd be cool!

So do you buy his excuse? What do you think this will do to this season's ratings?
    I think it's absolute bullshit and his apology is just as bad.

Here's the c&p

Juan Pablo Galavis has issued an apology following his commentary about the idea of a gay Bachelor.

At a TCAs party on Friday, Galavis said that a gay version of The Bachelor would be a bad example for children.

"I respect [gay people], but honestly I don't think it's a good example for kids to watch that on TV," Galavis – a single dad to 4-year-old daughter Camila – told Sean Daly from The TV Page.

On Saturday, he issued a statement on his Facebook page to clarify the remarks.

"I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a Gay or Bisexual Bachelor," he wrote. "The comment was taken out of context. If you listen to the entire interview, there's nothing but respect for Gay people and their families."

In the Friday interview – an audio recording of which was posted on The TV Page – Galavis said he respects gay couples "100 percent" but seemed to have some reservations about them raising children.

"Obviously people have their husband and wife and kids, and that is how we are brought up," Galavis said.

"Now there is fathers having kids and all that, and it is hard for me to understand that, too, in the sense of a household having peoples … two parents sleeping in the same bed and the kid going into bed. It is confusing in a sense, but I respect them because they want to have kids, they want to be parents."

"And there's this thing about gay people, that it seems to me, and I don't know if I'm mistaken or not, you know I have a lot of friends and that, they're more pervert in a sense. To me the show would be too strong, too hard to watch on TV."

In a joint statement, ABC and the show's producers said: "Juan Pablo's comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show's producers or studio."

But Galavis went on to clarify his use of the term "pervert" on his Facebook.

"The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it," he wrote. "Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself."

"What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is and I don't let my daughter watch it. Once again, I'm sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone."
  4. Moderator

Thanks for the article, BLT! I also think his apology is BS and I wouldn't be surprised if the network force-fed it to him. I suspect he's in major hot water with them, especially since his season is in progress.
    Banned
    If the apology did anything, it imo, made him look worse.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah, no, the whole ESL is to blame is
  7. Senior Member
    I can't even with this one.
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I think he's back paddling and blaming his ESL to make himself look better.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I mean, I agree that his English is sub-par. But that does not mask his opinions on the matter in my eyes. He thinks having a gay season of The Bachelor would be a bad example for children? Say wha?
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    I mean, I agree that his English is sub-par. But that does not mask his opinions on the matter in my eyes. He thinks having a gay season of The Bachelor would be a bad example for children? Say wha?
    - I really haven't gotten that impression at all from what I have seen of him so far on The Bachelor and in other interviews, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast