Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking in a Car with a Child Now Illegal in Oregon

Banned

Smoking in a Car with a Child Now Illegal in Oregon

Advertisements
    Starting Jan 1st a new law went into effect in Oregon that bans smoking in a car while a child is in the car.

Thoughts, agree, disagree???

My first thought was what about at home? If smoking in a car is bad for the child what about living in a house with a heavy smoker?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Honestly, I've never lived in a state where it WAS legal so it's NBD to me. Makes sense, there's often not very good circulation of air in a car and the kid can't escape.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'm not really pro laws for everything, so I won't comment on the legal aspect. As far as the principal behind the law, totally makes sense. My family had a whole different set of rules and expected behavior in a car versus in the house/anywhere else due to the fact that in a car, we were all stuck and that was just for sanity and annoyance reasons, I think this makes absolute sense since it is actually damaging to health.
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I think it's awesome. And I think it's grey that it's 0-18. Many states that it's illegal in it is only 0-13.
    I didn't realize there were actually states prior to this article that had already deemed it illegal because it isn't illegal here sadly.

When my cousin came to visit from Europe she was stunned it wasn't illegal. She told a cop about a mom smoking standing next her infant and was stunned it wasn't illegal. Where she is from it's considered child abuse and a serious infraction.

Also it is ony a secondary offense. They can pull you over just for smoking in a car with kids you have to violate some other law as well. But it's a step.
  5. Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Uh-Lawn-Uh
    I think it should be illegal everywhere. I can vividly remember sitting in the back seat of the car as a child, my mom smoking in the front seat, and being practically suffocated from the smoke. It was horrible. And then i would smell that on me for the entire day. Grossed me out.
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannaCodi View Post
    I think it should be illegal everywhere. I can vividly remember sitting in the back seat of the car as a child, my mom smoking in the front seat, and being practically suffocated from the smoke. It was horrible. And then i would smell that on me for the entire day. Grossed me out.
    My mom is a heavy smoker and when I was younger and going back and forth between my moms and my dads, when I got to my dads my stuffed animals always reeked of smoke, it was terrible.

I fully support this, if we ban smoking in public buildings restaurants etc.. where it's a confined space, we should definitely be banning it in the much smaller space of a car.
  7. Senior Member
    Power to them. It's going to be hard to enforce but I applaud them for looking out for children. People are still going to do what they want but even by just creating the law they are raising awareness for the issue and I hope they are providing education about the topic as well to parents. Children's bodies are constantly developing and second hand smoke is incredibly detrimental. I can only hope some people take heed and are better around their children out of love and not just for the law.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Two for Oregon and all the states that have this law. Everyone else needs to catch up.
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Meh. To me, its a good idea in theory, but it feels more like one of those "feel good" laws that really has no teeth and that no prosecutor wants to deal with.

I understand the concept because you cannot get away in cars, but there are other confined spaces, like studio apartments that are just as bad. Yes, there are people that live in studio apartments that have children. Heck, my in-laws both have houses, but DH & I have certain coats & clothing we wear there because the smoke smell is just that bad.

Also the 0-18 kind of makes me If a parent is pulled over and has his/her 16 year old in the car, you think they won't lie about the child's age? How many of us had parents fudge on our ages growing up because things were cheaper/free if you were under a certain age?
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I against nanny state laws. What happens when pregnant women are arrested for eating fast food or mom's are arrested for serving fat children soda?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast