Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas Father Barred From Removing Wife From Life Support

Banned
    Advertisements
    To the best of my understanding, Texas allows abortion up to 20 weeks. I think it's bullshit they are denying this woman and her families wishes to make her an incubator for a fetus she could abort if she wasn't in a vegetative state.
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Fetus doesnt dehumanize, its a scientific term. Also, there are many tests you can do, but TBH, so many tests are inconclusive beyond viability in regards to mental/physical state of the fetus and long term effects. You cant test for brain damage or oxygen damage. You cant test for long term complications. There is a reason the family doesnt want to keep her on life support- they have discussed the possibility of the baby surviving and coming out horribly mentally and/or physically impaired, and after the death of the mom, they (clearly, as evidenced by their want to go forth with the DNR) dont feel they could handle that after having the mother die. Plus, who knows how expensive this is- what if they cant afford it? I think you are placing your own values on this families choice. It may not be the choice you would make, but lucky for you, you dont have to. They do, they have made the choice, and the law isnt letting them. IMO, bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    It's HIS choice to make, he is the husband of the woman and the father of the baby. He is the next of kin, the one responsible, and the one legally who SHOULD be making that choice. Not some politician somewhere who wants to push his or her "right to life" agenda on some grieving family who has now had their choices taken from them. I think it's bullshit, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeldaMegildur View Post
    All I could think was that they are using this poor shell of a woman for an incubator when the fetus may or may not survive and the family has already made the choice, which is their right to do. This is taking the "right to life" thing too far. Let this man and his family grieve without the political bull shit being involved.
    I'm with you guys. This is taking the right to life bullshit way too far.
  3. Senior Member
    Fetus doesnt dehumanize, its a scientific term. Also, there are many tests you can do, but TBH, so many tests are inconclusive beyond viability in regards to mental/physical state of the fetus and long term effects. You cant test for brain damage or oxygen damage. You cant test for long term complications. There is a reason the family doesnt want to keep her on life support- they have discussed the possibility of the baby surviving and coming out horribly mentally and/or physically impaired, and after the death of the mom, they (clearly, as evidenced by their want to go forth with the DNR) dont feel they could handle that after having the mother die. Plus, who knows how expensive this is- what if they cant afford it? I think you are placing your own values on this families choice. It may not be the choice you would make, but lucky for you, you dont have to. They do, they have made the choice, and the law isnt letting them. IMO, bullshit.
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    I can understand both sides completely. Also, she probably didn't think about being pregnant when she said she would never want to be on life support. And I also feel referring to the baby as a "fetus" dehumanizes him/her. It's sounds like "damaged goods", IMO. Why can't they do more tests to see if the baby is/can survive? Personally, I think they should do more tests to see if the baby can make it. If so, let the family make an educated decision. Keeping her on life support if the baby cannot make it would be totally, heartbreakingly devastating to the family to have had to keep her on life support and not get to take the baby home either. But if I were in that situation and there was a chance the baby would make is, I would hope my husband would keep me alive long enough to get our baby out safely.
    Fetus is the correct terminology. And tests in the medical field are rarely, if ever, definitive. Like, they can look and be like "yep, it has lungs and it's hearts beating so it should survive." But no doctor is ever going to be able to 100% say that. And that's not even accounting for any difficulties the child may experience due to lack of oxygenation. Brain cells are sooooo incredibly sensitive to oxygenation issues. I mean, considering the wife is brain dead... IDK. At 14 weeks, I definitely think that continuing the pregnancy (and keeping the wife on a ventilator) at that point is something the family needs to decide based on best evidence and they did. Not allowing for families to make that decision is BS. Official DNR or not, the family should be the one making decisions in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think at that stage of development, "fetus" would actually be the correct scientific term. I could be wrong though it's been a long time since I took any anatomy/development classes! Also I thought 18 weeks was well outside the range of viability (was taught it was 24 weeks) but maybe I'm wrong there. Not sure.

Regardless I think it's ridiculous to discard someone's DNR like that (assuming she had one).
    You're right. 24 weeks is generally when the fetus is considered viable.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have mixed feelings about this.
    But you can bet all future health care directives will include instructions for if the woman is pregnant, and how far along.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    This is ridiculous, my personal opinion is that a fetus is not a "person" until it can survive on it's own outside the womb (viability). I think it's terrible they are forcing this woman who did not want to be on life support, to spend the next few months as an incubator for a fetus that no one knows the true viability of. Her wishes should be carried out. Period.
    YES!! And gotta love that the Texas state law that puts the rights of a fetus over the wishes of itís mother.
  7. Senior Member
    And if the mother is on life support, doesnt this mean the child is also on life support?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeldaMegildur View Post
    All I could think was that they are using this poor shell of a woman for an incubator when the fetus may or may not survive and the family has already made the choice, which is their right to do. This is taking the "right to life" thing too far. Let this man and his family grieve without the political bull shit being involved.
    Agreed. I can't even... I can't even explain my disgust with this whole situation. Un FUCKING believable. Without knowing for certain if she would have changed her mind about not having life support under these circumstances (pregnancy), I firmly believe the decision should up to the family. Her husband and father of that child MADE his decision, and I think it's BULLSHIT that his wishes are being so grossly disregarded.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123