Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Suspended Over Anti-Gay Remarks. Thoughts?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    He talked about homosexuality as the gateway (or morphing into, I think were his words) to bestiality and infidelity. OF COURSE people are going to get offended by that. Since when is saying an entire group of people are step away from fucking a goat just as innocent as having an opinion on paint color or what to have for dinner. Not all opinions are equal, it's silly to pretend they are. Your opinions give a window into WHO YOU ARE as a person, and sometimes, someone's opinions show what a bigot they are. That's just how it works.
    You are a queen.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You are a queen.
    I respect your opinion.
  3. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    I wish people (in general) would put all that energy into finding solutions for real issues. Facebook is like one big argument right now.
  4. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    He talked about homosexuality as the gateway (or morphing into, I think were his words) to bestiality and infidelity. OF COURSE people are going to get offended by that. Since when is saying an entire group of people are step away from fucking a goat just as innocent as having an opinion on paint color or what to have for dinner. Not all opinions are equal, it's silly to pretend they are. Your opinions give a window into WHO YOU ARE as a person, and sometimes, someone's opinions show what a bigot they are. That's just how it works.
    Yes!!!! I've never watched the show and I have no intention of ever watching it.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

5 Things To Remember When Discussing This Duck Dynasty Mess | The Boeskool

This article expresses my opinion on the subject.

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness

AmandaA is my wifey-cakes ~ katebugg07 is my mistress

6. Senior Member
    Amen!!!! Hallelujah!
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    This isnt on my FB at all. I love my friends, we just couldnt give less of a shit about these (and I demean on purpose) hillbillies (hillbillys?). He is absolutely ok to give his opinion. And I am absolutely ok for him being fired for it.
  8. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    He has the right to his beliefs. I personally find myself at odds with his position, but I fully support his right to say what he said.

The problem I have is that people are turning this issue into some referendum on first amendment rights, or "tolerance goes both ways" and I find that really misguided. His first amendment rights are in no way violated. He said what he wanted to say, but (un)fortunately, we live in the real world where people are held accountable for what they say. Phil chose poorly if he wanted to continue his reality show on a network that has openly supported LGBTQ rights. The network has every right to terminate a contract with an employee who expresses views counter to the network's. That's life.
    This is where I'm at. I'm a strong LGBT supporter, and I occasionally watch Duck Dynasty. I do think that people are allowed to have opinions. Look how much trouble people have had shutting down the WBC. Why? Because they have rights too-- as inconvenient as I find that sometimes. Being bigoted or having subscribing to an unpopular spiritual belief isn't a crime. Even those NAMBLA folks (who I find particularly disgusting): their thoughts on sex with children are not a crime. It's creepy as fuck. I would never endorse them, but I don't think their existence is "criminal" either. It's when they DO something that it becomes a problem.

That being said, A&E also has rights. The truth is that once you're in the public eye, you have to be super SUPER careful about what you say.

I wouldnt want to live some place where people all had to think and believe the same things.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Since I saw this post and I previously said this:

Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    Okay, I've read everything and I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he equated homosexuality to beastiality. Don't get me wrong, I think what he said was offensive and I understand the suspension. It's typical "the bible says it's sin" speak. I just don't understand why the beastiality part is getting so much emphasis. The only part that I saw that mentions beastiality was this:

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

It reads to me like he's naming other things he finds to be sin after being asked, "What, in your mind, is sinful?"

So, if that's him equating homosexuality to beastiality he also throws in general promiscuity. To him, it falls under the category of what is sinful, that doesn't mean the acts are literally the same. I bring this up for the sake of conversation, not because I'm defending what he said. I think the media loves to draw out every bit of shock value they can pretty much all the damn time, so that's where I'm coming from.

But anyway, I am disappointed. I like the way they depict their family on the show and they seemed like a godly AND tolerant group of people. I just can't wrap my head around why he thought it would be okay to say what he said. In his response he says he loves all of humanity and would never disrespect someone for being different than he is. Wish he would went with that line of thinking the first time around.
    I just wanted to revisit it and make it clear that I don't think it's okay to equate homosexuality to beastiality (or say it's a gateway) it just didn't read that way to me. It read to me like he was listing things he thought to be sinful. Even though he said "morph out from there" it seemed like "moving on from there..." and then a list of other sins (according to him). Pretty much every article I read was making a big deal out of the fact that he used that word, but again, to me it seemed like a list of sins, not sins of the homosexual.

Just wanted to clear that up I would never compare the two or link them in any way.
  10. Senior Member
    Fundamental religious beliefs are always controversial. Sister Wives is still on the air.
    Do I think he could have worded it better and not sounded so offensive about it? Absolutely. But like PP said, he's not pushing his beliefs on anyone or committing any crimes (as opposed to the KKK, as someone previously compared him to).
    Since A&E is a business, and Duck Dynasty is by far their most successful program, I have to believe this is a publicity stunt. Otherwise, they just shot themselves in the foot by alienating the main fan base who watches the show, and the Robertsons will find a new network.

For the record, I enjoy Sister Wives. That doesn't mean I believe in polygamy, but I'm not going to be offended by their religious beliefs. I used to like Duck Dynasty until it started seeming way too scripted and fake to me. But, I really can't understand why people are so shocked that Phil Robertson believes homosexuality is a sin. I also believe it's well within A&E's rights to suspend him from the show, I just think it's ratings suicide for them.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast